Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Photo stuck in "connect external power" mode

I recently purchased a used 60gb iPod Photo from a Goodwill. I restored it, but it required me to update. Restored, updated, but being an older iPod, the screen showed the "connect external power" icon. I found an external power source and it has been connected for nearly 2 hours, and it still isn't responding. I think it's stuck but I'm not sure. I've tried resetting it and using multiple different outlets, but nothing seems to be working. It still shows the external power logo.

iPod Photo-OTHER, Other OS

Posted on Dec 4, 2013 7:48 PM

1 reply

Dec 5, 2013 1:20 AM in response to arcaneLuminary

The iPod photo is a 4th gen iPod, and that particular model requires you to connect it to an Apple USB power adapter to complete the Restore process (it's not related to doing an update). These iPod's came with a USB power adapter, so the expectation is that the iPod's owner has one. I heard this is because the iPod needs a higher voltage that is not available from a computer's USB port to complete the Restore, which is probably why it does not work with the "external power source" you tried.

You need to get an Apple USB power adapter. Or, if there is an Apple Store nearby, you can probably take it there (to the store's Genius Bar) and ask if you can plug it into one of their power adapters, to complete that last step. Do not have them do the full Restore process on a Mac, if you use Windows.

iPod Photo stuck in "connect external power" mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.