Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I flag email as JUNK myself? How?

With Mavericks not very good identifying Junk emails, is there a way (a button) I can click to make an email "junk" when Mail doesn't do it?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 8GB SDRAM; 750GB HD

Posted on Dec 4, 2013 7:43 PM

16 replies

Dec 27, 2013 12:10 PM in response to pwwwayne

The "Mark selected message as junk" button in Mavericks Mail appears no longer to move the selected message to the Junk Mail folder. It highlights the selected message in brown and gives it a Junk Mail icon, but unlike earlier versions of the Mac OS, the message is no longer moved to the Junk Mail folder. This requires a second action.

Is this simply another example of an Apple "upgrade" of the OS, or a genuine bug? I sincerely hope not, but am rapidly losing faith in Apple's erstwhile sense of what provides genuine user value.

Does anyone else have this problem? And if so, has anyone found if this is a bug caused by something (for example, some esoteric Mail "setting" or other) that can be fixed?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Dec 27, 2013 12:13 PM in response to Andrew No Thanks

Andrew No Thanks wrote:

Is this simply another example of an Apple "upgrade" of the OS, or a genuine bug? I sincerely hope not, but am rapidly losing faith in Apple's erstwhile sense of what provides genuine user value.

Does anyone else have this problem? And if so, has anyone found if this is a bug caused by something (for example, some esoteric Mail "setting" or other) that can be fixed?

Sounds like you have not adjusted your settings in Mail > Preferences > Junk Mail

My Macs are handling Junk Mail exactly the same as always.

Cheers

Pete

Dec 29, 2013 6:29 AM in response to petermac87

Thanks for the input, but I think I've now found the problem. Unfortunately, Mavericks does not handle Junk Mail "the same as always".

I have a Smart Mailbox named "UNREAD", which (as the name suggests) I use to pull together all my unread Mail messages into one place. The issue with the "Mark message as Junk" button in Mavericks Mail seems to be that clicking this button on a message highlighted in a Smart Mailbox highlights it as being junk (brown background, junk icon, etc.), but does not move the message to the Junk folder. However, the same message selected in the Mail Inbox is moved to the Junk Mailbox when the "Mark message as Junk" button is clicked.

So it appears to be a junk mail issue that is related to the Smart Mailbox bugs that Apple has created in Mavericks.

This means that I am unable to manually mark messages as Junk using the toolbar button in any of my Smart Mailboxes, only in the actual Inbox. Rather annoying.

Dec 29, 2013 6:46 AM in response to Andrew No Thanks

Smart Mailboxes do not Move messages. They are just a search criteria. Messages in my Junk folder do not show up in Smart Mailboxes, like Unread, even if they are still marked as Unread. My junk button still works the same as it ever did.

Is this a Gmail account? If so, it may be the same issues some people are having with Gmail and Mail. Due to Gmail's idiotic pseudo-IMAP implementation, messages are tagged with Labels instead of being placed in folders. They can also have multiple labels. For some, when messages are moved, the "Inbox" label isn't being removed, so it "remains" in both places.

If it is not a Gmail account, or you can confirm that the Inbox label is being removed, then you might try rebuilding the Mailbox (Mailbox menu).

Dec 29, 2013 8:06 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks for your input Barney, but I realise how Smart Mailboxes work. I think you misunderstood my explanation.

What I am saying is that the Junk mail button in the toolbar performs differently when clicked on a message that is selected in a Smart Mailbox to when clicked on a message that is selected in the Mail Inbox.

Clicking on a message selected in a Smart Mailbox merely flags the message as junk, but does not move it. Clicking on the same message selected in the Mail Inbox both flags it as junk and moves it to the Junk mailbox.

This is a different behaviour in Mavericks. As I explained, I have an "UNREAD" Smart Mailbox set up to bring together all my unread mail. Previous to Mavericks, marking a message as junk mail in this Smart Mailbox (using the toolbar button) moved it to the Junk mailbox. In Mavericks, this no longer works. But it does work if the message is being viewed from the Inbox (rather than via a Smart Mailbox).

FYI I have reindexed all my mail folders several times since 'upgrading' to Mavericks.

Can I flag email as JUNK myself? How?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.