Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 2 screen scrambled with Smart Cover

The screen scrambled when the Smart Cover became disconnected from the body. Initially when I reattached the cover to the body, the display corrected it self. It has now become progressively worse to the point that is just stays scrambled and only flickers the start screen momentarily when the cover is reattached. I have tried all the standard reboots etc. this seems to be unrelated. It only ever corrected when the magnet reattaches to the body. Any ideas?

iPad 2, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Dec 4, 2013 7:51 PM

7 replies

Dec 25, 2013 9:04 AM in response to Bobber71

Hello,

I have this exact same problem, but no solution yet. My Ipad 3 is 1.5 years old, and during that time, it has worked flawlessly. Suddenly one day, I picked up my ipad to see that my screen was scrambled. After fiddling with it for a while, I realized that I could descramble the screen by detaching or reattaching the magnetic cover. I took it to the apple store to see if they could fix it but they had no ideas. They said that they had never seen this happen before. We decided to try erasing the unit and reinstalling the OS. That did not help. Now after about 4 weeks of temporarily correcting the problem by attaching or detaching the screen, just like you, my problem has gotten progressively worse, and now I can't restore it no matter what. Tried using some different magnets, but that didn't work. I figure there must be some loose metallic dust inside the unit that is repositioned randomly by the cover. Sorry no help, but thought you'd like to know there is someone else out there with the same problem. Will post a solution here if I determine a fix.

Dec 31, 2013 12:35 PM in response to Bobber71

Hello,

Having the same problem you are as per my earlier post. Took it to an Ipad repair shop today and they had a plausible explanation: There is a flex cable inside the unit (about an inch up from the bottom left). This flex cable contains a metal piece that may have been pulled out by the magnet on the smart cover. Over the next few days, the technician is going to do a diagnostic on my ipad. Expect they will be able to simply reattach the cable and it will be a simple $30 fix. Will let you know.

iPad 2 screen scrambled with Smart Cover

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.