Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Revising applications sharing and permissions

Reviewing the Get Info panel for a number of applications, I found a variety of names including some that I never heard of. Who are these people? In many cases I do not have Read & Write privileges, yet have used the applications without trouble. In all cases, I have been unable to ever use the minus sign at the bottom of the Get info panel to delete a name. I can ony use the plus sign to add names. Is this normal functionality for OSX applications?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Dec 4, 2013 7:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2013 7:59 PM

Since you apparently don't know what you are doing allow me to encourage you not to fool around with changing permissions as no good will come of it.

The Delete [-] button in Get Info will only work for custom items that have been added. It does not work for entries that cannot be removed by a user.

A good rule of thumb: If you don't know what will happen if you change something, then don't change it until you find out what could happen. In other words, "Don't shoot first and ask questions afterwards."

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2013 7:59 PM in response to Paul Sedovic

Since you apparently don't know what you are doing allow me to encourage you not to fool around with changing permissions as no good will come of it.

The Delete [-] button in Get Info will only work for custom items that have been added. It does not work for entries that cannot be removed by a user.

A good rule of thumb: If you don't know what will happen if you change something, then don't change it until you find out what could happen. In other words, "Don't shoot first and ask questions afterwards."

Revising applications sharing and permissions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.