Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

help with formula (I believe it's LOOKUP)

Here's what I need to do: If I give a value (Square footage) it needs to find a price per square footage from another table.

So for example when I give a lengt of 10 and a width of 10, it needs to find the value (in dollars) from another table.

No idea how to do this.

Numbers-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.0.x)

Posted on Dec 4, 2013 10:05 PM

1 reply

Dec 5, 2013 12:01 AM in response to remmie15

Hi Remmie,

VLOOKUP will do it.

VLOOKUP(search-for, columns-range, return-column, close-match)

• search-for: The value to find. search-value can contain any value type.
  • columns-range: A range of cells. range is a reference to a single range of cells, which may contain values of any type.
  • return-column: A number that specifies the relative column number of the cell from which to return the value.return-column is a number value. The leftmost column in the range is column 1.
  • close-match: An optional value that determines whether an exact match is required.
    • close match (TRUE, 1, or omitted): If there’s no exact match, select the column with the largest top-row value that is less than the search value. Wildcards can’t be used in search-for.
    • exact match (FALSE or 0): If there’s no exact match, return an error. Wildcards can be used in search-for.

User uploaded file

A2 allows for different types of material. This could be a Pop-up Menu.

Formula in D2 =B2*C2

Formula in E2 =VLOOKUP(A2,'Table 1-1' :: $A$2:$B$5,2,0)

Formula in F2 =D2*E2

Regards,

Ian.

help with formula (I believe it's LOOKUP)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.