Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PPC G5 Quad Core 2.5 Booting OS problem ?? tech needed

I have a G5 Quad late October release that seems to have a corrupted registry. yup thats what I said 😕. It started with a Kernal panic on a wmv video , windows media no less, that required a Hard shut down but then a "Boot Stop" and Hard shut down alarm when I tried to re-boot and every time I tried to boot there after. I checked for coolant leaks, checked / reseated the CPU.s . Cleaned and reseated the Vid card and memory sticks, nothing. So i got ASD 2.6.3 It booted? so I ran 10 loops of full diognostic But No errors, so I re calibrated the CPU's all complete. But I still got a "Boot Stop" with the top red LED on , Tried safe boot , no luck, Then I pulled the drive and I got the Mac folder? , Tried booting from a Tiger DVD same "Boot Stop" so I tried option booting and the OS selection came up no problem and could detect OS's and even swap out DVD's. So I tried booting in verbose with bothe a mounted drive OS and the tiger DVD and got the boot stop. Verbose log said there was " A driver releasing a(n) _IOServiceJob has corrupted the registry\n" @/SourceCache /xnu/xnu-1228.15.4/libkern/c++/OSObject.cpp:241 . Granted there is alot more of kernal panic and back tracing but the @/SourceCache..... keeps coming up ever verbose boot causing kernal panics. Ive tried the pmu reset , Pram reset. booting with memory out , vid out everything. But all ASD tests say she's fine but I just cant seem to boot an OS!!! Could my ROM have been corrupted or some bad "Cache" that is saved and used during the boot cycle and if so how do I clean it out? HELP 😢 oh BTW the panic seem to come after "DART" is enabled what ever the blazes that is.

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5), G5 Quad 2.5 late october

Posted on Dec 5, 2013 12:32 AM

13 replies

Dec 5, 2013 11:00 PM in response to BDAqua

Well no third party PCIe cards installed, what few there are/were, but you did get me thinking so I pulled the run way card and the dvd drive, still Boot Lock. Tried changing a few new bateries with no change.

No booting from and type of OS either external, DVD or other hard drives. Same boot lock due to kernal panic.

install DVD= 2Z691-6037-A used to install origional OS 2 yrs ago.

ASD 2.6.3 Ver 691-5649-A

Dec 6, 2013 10:29 AM in response to mh4mac

Yep, looks like it should be the right Install Disc...

2Z691-6037-A Mac OS X Version 10.5.0 Leopard...

Compatible with eMac, eMac (ATI Graphics), eMac (1.0 GHz G4), eMac (USB 2.0), eMac (2005), iBook G4 (Mid 2005), iMac G5 17-inch (ALS), iMac G5 20-inch (ALS), iMac G5 (17-inch iSight), iMac G5 (20-inch iSight), iMac (Early 2006 17-inch), iMac (Early 2006 20-inch), iMac (Mid 2006 17-inch), iMac (17-inch Late 2006 CD), iMac (17-inch Late 2006), iMac (20-inch Late 2006), iMac (24-inch Late 2006), iMac (20-inch Mid 2007), iMac (24-inch Mid 2007), Mac mini, Mac mini (Late 2005), Mac mini (Early 2006), Mac mini (Late 2006), Mac mini (Mid 2007), Mac Pro, Mac Pro (8-core), MacBook (13-inch), MacBook (13-inch Late 2006), MacBook (13-inch Mid 2007), MacBook (13-inch Late 2007), MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, MacBook Pro (17-inch), MacBook Pro (15-inch Glossy), MacBook Pro (15-inch Core 2 Duo), MacBook Pro (17-inch Core 2 Duo), MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.4/2.2GHz), MacBook Pro (17-inch 2.4GHz), MacBook Pro (Early 2008), Power Mac G4 (QuickSilver), Power Mac G4 (QuickSilver 2002), Power Mac G4 (QuickSilver 2002ED), Power Mac G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors), Power Mac G4 (FW 800), Power Mac G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors 2003), Power Mac G5, Power Mac G5 (June 2004), Power Mac G5 (Late 2004), Power Mac G5 (Early 2005), Power Mac G5 (Late 2005), PowerBook G4 (1GHz/867MHz), PowerBook G4 (12-inch), PowerBook G4 (17-inch), PowerBook G4 (12-inch DVI), PowerBook G4 (15-inch FW800), PowerBook G4 (17-inch 1.33GHz), PowerBook G4 (12-inch 1.33GHz), PowerBook G4 (15-inch 1.5/1.33GHz), PowerBook G4 (17-inch 1.5GHz), PowerBook G4 (12-inch 1.5GHz), PowerBook G4 (15-inch 1.67/1.5GHz), PowerBook G4 (17-inch 1.67GHz), PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD), PowerBook G4 (17-inch Double-Layer SD), Xserve, Xserve (Slot Load), Xserve (Cluster Node), Xserve G5, Xserve G5 (Cluster Node), Xserve G5 (January 2005), Xserve G5 (January 2005 Cluster Node), Xserve (Late 2006)

http://www.welovemacs.com/2z6916037a.html

Have we tried this yet?

Does it boot into Open Firmware with CMD+Option+o+f ?

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=42642

reset-nvram (press Enter)

set-defaults (press Enter)

reset-all (press Enter)

Have you done a PRAM reset, CMD+Option+p+r...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

In fact, do 3 in a row, takes a bit of time.

Dec 6, 2013 1:06 PM in response to BDAqua

well it did boot in OF and It accepted the commands fine but still Bootlock afterwards , tried the Pram reset 3 times and again bootlock, I started in verbose mode again and it seems the framwork was able to initialize and even the airport but once DART enabled comes up it panics one of the CPU.s . Do you know what this DART is?

Dec 14, 2013 9:58 AM in response to BDAqua

Update*

Ok here we go, I can only boot in OF mode so doing alot of research I went with a motherboard swap since I had an extra one around. Same bootstop error and Kernal panic.

grrrr..

Due to only able to boot in OF I tried singling out each core well here I am on core1 lol yes I am posting this with the only core I can use at the moment, I hate using PC laptops wich was my only other option.

Funny thing, when I booted control-shift-v to boot in verbose safe mode I did get *AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement cannot load Over and Over full screen, I may have not exactly listed the driver exact but I'm going off of memory.

I have read in other forums about hard shutdowns causing ROM corruption in the OF so...

1) where is the ROM stored?

2) could my continual hard shutdowns from the kernal panics I got from the wmv decoder have caused the issue?

- I would average at least 5 hard shutdowns a week from this issue if I used the codec after playing halo ?? lol i should have learned.

3) is there a way to re-install a Mac ROM?

4) should I try the "heat gun" trick on the CPU's?

cpu's have been reseated and switched around/ run ASD all went fine every time

ASD came back no errors on full diognostic

I Just can't see how 3 outta 4 cores go bad at once, 1 CPU yea but not 3 outta 4 cores?

Dec 14, 2013 12:11 PM in response to BDAqua

well I have been using the nvram reset with no luck in OF and command+option+P+R up to 4 times.

BTW your this link didn't post.

I wish I could understand the OF commands better looking through the logs, crash reports and stuff I seem to have loads of data and no knowledge of seeing what the problem may be.

I'm gonna try to re-seat the cpu's again in hopes it is a bad seating and check for bad pins. If nothing else I have a Quad 2,5Ghz G5 running on one core 😕, at least till that one goes.

since I have the abillity to boot is there a good hardware diagnostic software and would it test the other cpu's with them not being used via OF ?

PPC G5 Quad Core 2.5 Booting OS problem ?? tech needed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.