Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Airport Express in client mode effectively add Airplay to any Hi Fi using the Ethernet connection?

With reference to this Apple Support item on how to use Airport Express in 'Client' mode.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1731?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

My understanding of this is - I can direct Airplay to the Airport express as though it was an Airplay device.

By using AE in Client Mode and connecting to Hi-Fi via Ethernet, can I effectively add Airplay to any Hi Fi with Ethernet input?

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Dec 5, 2013 4:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2013 5:18 AM

No, not unless the Hi-Fi / Ethernet device has built in AirPlay capability.

5 replies

Dec 5, 2013 9:42 AM in response to OppositeDays

Hi Bob, are you sure the Ethernet port and the audio jack cannot be used to feed a Hi-Fi?

This is what it says on the Product info:

Notes

• In client mode, the AirPort Express is used exclusively by the device to which it is physically connected. It won't extend the range of the Wi-Fi network, meaning that other devices, such as computers, cannot connect to it wirelessly.
  • While in client mode, AirPort Express with 802.11n will be able to use the Ethernet port to pass Wi-Fi traffic to a device connected to the Ethernet port. However, the original AirPort Express 802.11g doesn't support this feature and will disable the Ethernet port. Only compatible USB printers or audio devices are supported.
  • To use any of these features, you will also need the appropriate Ethernet, audio, or USB cable to connect the device to the AirPort Express.

Dec 5, 2013 11:52 AM in response to OppositeDays

Your question was.....

By using AE in Client Mode and connecting to Hi-Fi via Ethernet, can I effectively add Airplay to any Hi Fi with Ethernet input?

The answer is no, not unless the Ethernet device already has AirPlay capability built in, a feature which is offered on some audio/video products.

Then you asked another different question......

What about using the 3.5mm audio jack?

The 3.5 mm audio jack has nothing to do with your original question about using Ethernet.

If you connect an audio cable from the audio jack on the AirPort Express to an analog audio input on an audio / video product, you can play the AirPlay signal through the sound system and control the audio from an iPhone or iPad, or from your computer.

If the audio / video product has a Toslink digital audio input, you can connect a Toslink cable from the AirPort Express to the digital input on the audio / video product and play the AirPlay signal through the sound system as above.

Can Airport Express in client mode effectively add Airplay to any Hi Fi using the Ethernet connection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.