Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I forgot my Air on

Hi people :-) I am new to the Mac world, still getting used to it. This monday after finishing work, I pressed Shut down, closed the lid of my Air and put it in its sleeve. 3 days after I took it out and to my surprise when I opened the lid, it was on with a message about Stickers not closing ok or something like that.

My worry is, can something have happened to it for being on so many days inside a sleeve? I don´t have very clear how the sleep mode works in Mac. I haven´t touched the factory settings about Energy Saver.

If it helps, it is running on 10.8.5 and I haven´t installed any of the app to avoid it from going to sleep when the lid is closed.

Thx in advance and a great day for all!!! :-)

Posted on Dec 5, 2013 5:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2013 5:45 AM

When shutting down the computer, wait until the computer completely shut down before

closing the lid.

Best.

6 replies

Dec 5, 2013 6:05 AM in response to NewMacUser1980

If it is running fine now, don't worry and be thankful that nothing happened. If running, with the lid closed in a sleeve or case, yes, a machine could overheat. But, it would have shut down then, as all apple computers have builtin overheat shutdown protection.

There's nothing you can do now - if it is running fine now, odds are it is fine, just don't make the same mistake twice 😉

Dec 5, 2013 7:11 AM in response to NewMacUser1980

When you select shutdown with programs running MacOS will attempt to shut the programs down for you but there are times when it cannot. If you've failed to save a document some programs will ask if you want to save or quit by posting a dialog box. That dialog will remain until you answer it but if you've already shut the lid it doesn't get answered. Eventually the computer should go to sleep and when you wake it up there's the dialog still waiting for you. Additionally some programs are slow to quit for one reason or another and on occasion you'll come across a program that refuses to quit. The OS has a set amount of time it will wait for the program to quit before posting a dialog that 'xxx canceled shutdown". That's what you saw.

You have two choices when quitting: 1) make sure all applications have been quit before shutting down which should keep this from happening or 2) keep the lid open until you see the computer shut down.

I combine the two. I quit all my apps and then wait anyway.

I forgot my Air on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.