Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are Ipad air manufactured

I ordered a ipad air and received a tracking number to check delivery. when checking on the shipment it said that the ipad air was being shipped from Chengdu China big suprise to me. I thought that they were manufactured in the US, if I had known they were produced in China it may have influenced my decision and would have checked into the other tablets more.

iPod touch, iOS 6.1.3

Posted on Dec 5, 2013 6:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2013 12:42 PM

Yeah, sorry I should have clarified - just making the point that there are very, very few consumer electronic anythings being made in the USA - from televisions, to smart phones to mp3 players and everything inbetween those, Asia is the manufacturing hub of the consumer electronics world.

The last made-in-the-USA electronic device I think I ever purchased was a TwinHead 486sx laptop back in 1998 (?) when they still had a plant in CA.

<edit> Does Gateway still actually make computers in CA - they might be one USA manufacturer left? Though almost 100% of their components will come from Asia, so really they assembly here at best, and technically, they are now just a brand of Acer.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2013 12:42 PM in response to varjak paw

Yeah, sorry I should have clarified - just making the point that there are very, very few consumer electronic anythings being made in the USA - from televisions, to smart phones to mp3 players and everything inbetween those, Asia is the manufacturing hub of the consumer electronics world.

The last made-in-the-USA electronic device I think I ever purchased was a TwinHead 486sx laptop back in 1998 (?) when they still had a plant in CA.

<edit> Does Gateway still actually make computers in CA - they might be one USA manufacturer left? Though almost 100% of their components will come from Asia, so really they assembly here at best, and technically, they are now just a brand of Acer.

Dec 5, 2013 6:48 AM in response to 123boats

Apple has not made products itself, or in the USA in many years now (although they will be making the new Mac Pro in the USA). Almost all Apple products - laptops, computers, iPads, iPods, iPhones are made in China and have been for years. Recently, reportedly they have also contracted with manufacturers in Taiwan again as well, to meet demand for their products (they've used companies in Taiwan before anyway, at least with PowerBooks).

Almost all smart phones, regardless of brand name, are made in Asia as are most computers. There are even plants in China that simultaneiously assemble machines for Apple, Dell and others all in the same factory complex.

Modern electronics has largely separated into the companies that develop, design and market the products, and the contractors they use to actually make them. And China is now the single largest manufacturer of computers, tablets and smart/cell phones.

Places around Beijing and Shanghai are densely packed with electronics factories.

Dec 5, 2013 7:21 AM in response to 123boats

It if is not what you want, you can cancel the order or return it for a full refund. However, I do not know of a single laptop or tablet made in the USA anymore (twinhead may have been the last laptop manufacturer with a plant here and they closed up shop years ago now). They are pretty much all manufactured/assembled in Korea, China, Taiwan, and a few companies now have plants in Vietnam, but not many.

Apple products have been manufactured by Asian companies for over a decade now.

Google's Nexus Q is made in the USA, but it is an exception, not the rule.

Dec 5, 2013 10:38 AM in response to Michael Black

Michael Black wrote:

Google's Nexus Q is made in the USA, but it is an exception, not the rule.

The Nexus Q was made in the US, making it indeed an exception in consumer electronics, but it wasn't a tablet nor a smartphone. It was a media streaming device that failed badly in the market and was essentially dropped back at the end of 2012.

Regards.

Where are Ipad air manufactured

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.