Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ghosting and out of warranty

I'm am writing my thesis for the moment and it is only now that I found out my Macbook Pro Retina Mid 2012 model suffers bad from ghosting. Especially after being on a page for a while, it is realy burned in.

The waranty of my laptop expired last month and I didn't get the extended coverage.

Anybody any idea if Apple will still solve this problem?

Thx for the feedback

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 5, 2013 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2013 8:46 AM

Read through this thread; you'll see you've got plenty of company and how others succeeded (or not) in dealing with it.

3 replies

Dec 5, 2013 6:19 PM in response to FatMac-MacPro

Made an appointmet with apple. They will send it in for repair under the flat rate principle, will cost me $280 plus tax and they will repair all if other things are wrong.

I stay with a double feeling here. This is for sure a hardware issue for what I'm not responsible so it would have been nice to see it repaired for free but at the other hand I do like the service.

Feb 16, 2014 12:55 PM in response to wpopelier

Same issue: Bad ghosting on a machine 40 days outside of warranty (same laptop as yours). They offered to repair it (switch out the screen) for around $600. The genius said he "heard of a few instances like this" (yeah, right)... and expressed empathy... but still wanted $600. There was some talk of a class action suit but I'm not a fan of going that route. I feel Apple should somehow acknowledge the problem and offer a less-expensive fix.

By the way: Good luck on your thesis.

Ghosting and out of warranty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.