Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OSX Mavericks Server private/var/folders/ filling up space

User uploaded file

Since the upgrade to Mavericks our server is having no end of issues. The major one at the moment is private/var/folders/ filling up with files that never get erased (even after a shutdown)

Only OSX is on this 100Gig partition and quickly more than 70 gig of space disappears... until it gets to zero.

I just took a screenshot with Grandperspective with root permissions which shows on the left the many files created (all in folders). This screenshot was not taken with the hard drive full (I only got to this point once and had to boot with another drive to clear the main drive),

I disabled items launching at login, widgets... the server is barebone.

I also tried checking the hard drive and permissions.

The server has 16 gig of RAM if you wonder.

Needless to say, we never had that issue before upgrading to Mavericks, so I am considering reverting. But I'd prefer fixing this... so any help would be welcome.

MAC MINI SERVER (LATE 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 5, 2013 7:59 AM

16 replies

Dec 12, 2013 1:34 AM in response to NortonKnatchbull

To John Lockwood - Yes, it seems so.

I had the issue mentioned with icon services.

And the icons in my dock eventually disappeared on Monday as mentioned by someone in one of these forums.

When they did, I reverted the OS to 10.8. I couldn't wait any longer to find a fix.

The call I raised with Apple seems to have got lost in oblivion., but you guys have been the most helpful.

So thanks to everyone who replied.

Jan 14, 2014 7:59 PM in response to NortonKnatchbull

In Mac 10.9, apparently we'll have to budget approximatly 1gb extra space per user in the /var/folders directory.

Each user may have a large (700-800MB) com.apple.IconServices folder. It's located at ${TMPDIR%/*/*}/C/com.apple.IconServices. If there's not enough room, the com.apple.IconServiceAgent process will "runaway" and strangeness ensues. Maybe we can symlink all the com.apple.IconServices folders to one folder...

Jan 30, 2014 7:35 PM in response to NortonKnatchbull

My use of ${TMPDIR%/*/*}/C/ gets you to your cache folder. The offending folder is cache. Sorry for the confusion.

To see what's going on with your server, log in as an admin, run:

sudo du -shxc /var/folders/*/*/C/com.apple.IconServices

to display the size of each users Icon cache and add them all up.

If your logged in as a user, it will show your personal Icon cache.

Cheers

OSX Mavericks Server private/var/folders/ filling up space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.