Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

selling a 2007 Mac Pro

I'm getting ready to sell my 2007 Mac Pro. I've researched the process of cleaning the disk and came across a posting that included a link to a Safe Mac article entitled "How to prepare your Mac for sale" which recommends using the original install discs to clean the hard drive and then reinstall. In my case this would mean installing OS 10.4. The system is currently running 10.7.5 and I have been unable to install additional upgrades because of the machine's age. Will the buyer be able to upgrade to this system?

Thanks.

Alice

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), iLife 11, Aperture 3.43

Posted on Dec 5, 2013 1:00 PM

7 replies

Dec 5, 2013 1:25 PM in response to alice_srq

Lion is the highest OS but that is still supported and you can do a lot of "Upgrades" to improve performance.

If you have upgraded the graphics it may not work with OEM 10.4.6 build it shipped with.

If you had bought 10.5.x or more likely have the retail 10.6.x DVD (or buy a copy, or have them) that would be much better. Incl. t he OEM DVDs but don't install... it isn't wise or supported if it is connected to t he net.

And what will you use?

With yes some $$ you can put a nicer gpu in there, an SSD system drive does wonders, and FBDIMMs are outright steal now @ $25 for 4GB (2x2). As for ML, do you need it? and Mavericks may not be ready for everyone, still too early in its release.

Dec 5, 2013 1:34 PM in response to The hatter

Thanks Hatter. I did upgrade the graphics along the way so that could be an issue. However, I also purchase 10.6 and have those discs so that is probably the best way to go.

Since you asked, I will be using a 27" iMac. I have installed Mavericks and so far so good. Can't say that I am bowled over by it but the new file organization features are nice.

Thanks again.

Dec 5, 2013 1:40 PM in response to alice_srq

Sounds good. You had to have Snow Leopard of course to get Lion ;-)

I'd go with iMac myself except I have monitors already that I like and more in storage :-(

Mavericks once they get Mail and other things working, I keep finding that it was 10.7.5, and before that 10.6.8, where the OS actually "shined" only to be thrown in the trash sortof - all that to get a mature as-bug-free-as-can-be OS and then jump ship and start the routine all over!

I'm waiting to see a Mac-Mini that knocks my socks off, else it is a new cylinder experience for me.

selling a 2007 Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.