Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading RAM to the max(imum) on my work's Mac Mini (mid-2011)...

Hello.

4 GB of RAM is not enough for my Mac Mini (mid-2011; updated Mac OS X 10.7.5) since I multitask and run with VMware Fusion Pro (v6.0.2) for testing purposes. According to About This Mac, it has both memory slots in used (2 GB each; can't add more to it? 😟). I would like to maximimize this RAM out. According to its tiny hardcopy manual, I can go up to 8 GB of RAM in total (4 GB each) with:

-Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Module (SO-DIMM) format.

-1333 MHz, PC3-10600E, DDR3 complaint (DDR3 1333)

-Unbuffered and unregistered

It says I can order new RAM from Apple store, but I cannot seem to find it on apple.com? Did I miss it with my search and manual navigations? How about third parties like from Amazon, CDW, etc. if Apple's prices are higher? Are they safe/better to use?

Thank you in advance. 🙂

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Mid 2011,4 GB of RAM,Intel Core i5

Posted on Dec 5, 2013 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2013 1:44 PM

The Mid 2011 Mac mini supports 8 GB officially, but you can install up to 16 GB of RAM.

Apple sells RAM at the Apple Online Store, but it is expensive. Instead, you can buy RAM at OWC or Crucial and install it, which will work in the same way (Apple RAM has nothing special respecting to other brands) and it is cheaper

8 replies

Dec 5, 2013 2:03 PM in response to mende1

mende1 wrote:

The Mid 2011 Mac mini supports 8 GB officially, but you can install up to 16 GB of RAM.

Apple sells RAM at the Apple Online Store, but it is expensive. Instead, you can buy RAM at OWC or Crucial and install it, which will work in the same way (Apple RAM has nothing special respecting to other brands) and it is cheaper

Oh, I can go 16 GB? Wow. I might go that high then! Thanks. 🙂

Dec 5, 2013 3:24 PM in response to antdude

vteeroy post on the same Crucial page said he successfully installed 16 GB in a 2011 Mini. Also dbaile said "which turned out not to support 16gb and in the process required that the logic board be replaced." That implies to me that he either had a defective logic board or he damaged the logic board when replacing the RAM.

Upgrading RAM to the max(imum) on my work's Mac Mini (mid-2011)...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.