Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB ports not working in Windows-7 on MacBook Pro Retina Late 2013 after Bootcamp installation

1) INSTALLATION

Using Bootcamp (v. 5.1.1, OS X Mavericks) in combination with an original Microsoft installation DVD disc using an external optical CD/DVD drive. Note, the installation is NOT from an ISO image. In the Bootcamp setup window only the lower two of the three setup options are clicked, namely a) to download Windows-7 drivers to a USB stick, and b) to partition the harddrive and then to install Windows.

2) PROBLEM

After the initial Windows-7 installation no devices attached to the USB ports can be found under Windows-7. The ports are dead. Also the WLAN did not work, so no internet connection was possible.

3) CAUSE

The problem is caused when you use a USB 3.0 stick as destination for the Bootcamp driver downloads. It seems that Windows-7 cannot recognize the USB 3.0 stick properly during the Bootcamp/Windows installation process, thus failing to do perform a proper installation of the Windows-7 drivers.

4) SOLUTION

Use a USB 2.0 stick and everything will work perfectly.

Follow these steps in order:

1) Connect your external DVD drive to a USB port and insert the Windows installation disc

2) Start the Bootcamp utility

3) In Bootcamp, remove the failed Windows-7 installation and partition

4) In Bootcamp, redo the entire Bootcamp process, but this time using a USB 2.0 stick

5) Follow all further steps in Bootcamp and later in the Windows-7 installation process

6) At the end of the installation procedures you will be asked to confirm the installation of all Bootcamp/Windows drivers.

7) Bootcamp installs all the drivers and your Windows-7 installation will work perfectly.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 5, 2013 3:50 PM

7 replies

Feb 13, 2014 3:40 AM in response to appleidge

I followed the steps above (switched to USB 2.0) but USB port still not working after installing Win 7.

After Win 7 installation, nothing else happened. That is, I was never asked step (6) above: At the end of the installation procedures you will be asked to confirm the installation of all Bootcamp/Windows drivers.

Has anyone found a solution to this issue yet?

Apr 4, 2014 1:50 PM in response to appleidge

Ok, where is this Intel driver? There is no such thing "program manager" so I am guessing you mean the Programs and features control panel, but on my machine that whole window is blank after a clean install. I still cannot get the USB ports to activate. Two fresh installs and several different USB sticks later and no luck. Should I just give up and go to Windows 8.1? I really need Windows 7 to work if at all possible. Other devices shows one USB controller without driver software so I suppose that's the culprit. There are other USB devices installed under the USB section of Device Manager, but they apparently have nothing to do with the USB ports themselves, just devices like the trackpad etc. I've spent two hours on this so far and it's getting out of control. Why doesn't this work with generic USB drivers?

Apr 4, 2014 3:28 PM in response to Jason Lockhart

Ok, here's what I resorted to and I should have thought of it sooner. I downloaded the latest trial version of Paragon NTFS for Mac OS X and installed that so I could write directly to the Bootcamp partition from Mac OS X. That was the ONLY way I could get the Bootcamp drivers onto the Bootcamp partition. Then there's getting the correct version of the Bootcamp drivers, that was aggrevating as well. For The late-2013 rMBP that's 5.1.5640, NOT 5.1.5621. Grrrrrrrr As soon as Windows 8.1 gets a gorram Start Menu straight out of the box without 3rd party help again then we can leave Win 7 behind. Looks like the next rev will...finally.

Apr 23, 2014 12:56 PM in response to appleidge

HI i had this problem happened to me, but i found a solution. You need to go to hardware and sound, then device manager, all the way to usb devices delete usb 3.0 xtence fice completely from your computer, then download the same file from intel.com usb 3.0 xtence.

It appears that when apple is downloading the drivers, installs the wrong version.

thanks i hope this works for you.

Apr 23, 2014 5:19 PM in response to appleidge

Dear friend i started with a usb 2.0 thumbdrive, adding all the windows drivers in the windows installation file from the beginning and it didn't work. After several failed attempts at erasing boot camp and reinstalling it again and again, i discovered that workaround.

I am using a late 2012 21.5" iMac with a 750gb SSD drive "No fusion drive" You're method didn't work for me.

Thanks

USB ports not working in Windows-7 on MacBook Pro Retina Late 2013 after Bootcamp installation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.