Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem installing Windows 7 64bit using bootcamp

Hello all,

I am sorry to ask a question that has probably been asked many time. It almost three days that I am browsing all possible forum but I have not been able to find the solution to this particular problem.

I am trying to install Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on a 27" iMac (late 2009) with Mountain Lion operating system. So, let's start from the beginning. I have used BootCamp assistant to partition my hard drive following all the possible official instructions on how to install Windows using Bootcamp. The Bootcamp Assistant successfully partitions my drive, the computer restarts automatically and the windows 7 installation starts correctly using the inserted DVD. The windows installation goes on perfectly, the computer restarts a couple of times but after the last restart I see the "Windows starting" window than my screen goes black and nothing happens anymore.

After some research I found some instruction on hoe to download the Windows drivers on a USB key and I followed all the steps suggest her . The problem is that I can't even get to the point where I can install my drive from the USB because I have never been able to actually complete the Windows installation. I tried rebooting the the Boot Manager but my Mac does not see my USB drive (Sony 8gb).

Can someone please help me? This issue is driving me nuts and I really need to urgently use Windows.

Many thanks to all for the help, in advance

iMac, Windows 7, Bootcamp, graphic card drivers

Posted on Dec 5, 2013 4:24 PM

5 replies

Dec 6, 2013 4:18 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Hello Bob,

Many thanks for the reply. My only concern is that I am using Mountain Lion (OSX 10.8). Are the drivers on the snow leopard DVD still valid? Should I just boot my computer and start it from the Snow Leopard DVD? I am asking you this simply because I will not be able to access any Windows 7 screen, since everything turns black as soon as Windows starts.

I looked through all the discussions, but I have not been able to find anything similar to my problem. Am I doing something wrong here? I am really stuck here! ;(

Many thanks,

Fabio

Dec 6, 2013 8:19 AM in response to Cougar999

The Mountain Lion Windows Support drivers are available from within Boot Camp Assistant as a download. Start Boot Camp Assistant and select the option to download the Windows Support Software. Follow the instructions for saving the downloaded support software. When you boot into Windows make sure the device containing the drivers is inserted into a usb port and your Windows dvd is not in the computer. Windows will boot from your installed Windows on your hard drive and it will install the support software from the usb tick.

You should visit the Boot Camp forum where installing Windows and the Windows Support Software is explained in hundreds of posts.

https://discussions.apple.com/community/windows_software/boot_camp

And here is the Boot Camp help files in case you were unable to find them.

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

Dec 6, 2013 9:03 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Hi Bob,

Thanks again for your reply. Maybe I have not been really clear on what my problem is. I have followed hundreds of Apple official and unofficial instructions. Of course I have already downloaded the windows support software from inside the bootcamp assistant and also on my computer extracting then the Drivers folder and copying it on the USB disk. This is not my problem. My problem is than when the installation is finished, I extract my Windows installation DVD and I try to start Windows from its partition, my screen goes completely black and I cannot do anything from there. So I can' t actually open my USB. My boot manager, I have NO clue why, doesn't recognised the USB even though it is connected directly onto my Mac and not on a USB hub.

I hope I have been clearer this time on where I am stuck.

Problem installing Windows 7 64bit using bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.