Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use 24 inch imac as a monitor?

I have an "old" 24inch iMac. (Purchased maybe 2009?)

And i recently bought another one, macPro.
So i will not use my old iMAc as an prior computer.

But i still like the large size monitor that my old one has.

Is there any solution that i can use this big buddy as a monitor?
As I researched, only 27inch iMac or later version can be used as a monitor if i use thunderbold cable.

If anyone has a good solution, can be a program, or upgrading whatever, Please let me know.

Thank you!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 5, 2013 10:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2013 10:41 PM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

As you said, Target Display mode is only supported in Late 2009 and Mid 2010 27-inch iMacs, and in Mid 2011 and newer iMacs, so you cannot use your iMac as a display for your Mac Pro directly.

However, there is an app called ScreenRecycler that allows you to use the iMac as an external display for the Mac Pro by using your network. This is the only possibility, so I recommend you to give it a try

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 5, 2013 10:41 PM in response to riuwonx

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

As you said, Target Display mode is only supported in Late 2009 and Mid 2010 27-inch iMacs, and in Mid 2011 and newer iMacs, so you cannot use your iMac as a display for your Mac Pro directly.

However, there is an app called ScreenRecycler that allows you to use the iMac as an external display for the Mac Pro by using your network. This is the only possibility, so I recommend you to give it a try

Can I use 24 inch imac as a monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.