Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2013 15" Macbook Pro distorts audio with Facebook notifications?

So overall the audio has seemed pretty decent on the late 2013 15" Macbook Pro.

However, there have been a few occasions where I wonder if it's normal or if my machine may be defective.

A really easy example that other users could test for is on Facebook. The notification sound distorts and sounds like it's clipping/popping or otherwise struggling to play smoothly and sound good even when I'm around 20-40% volume levels.

It seems strange to me that this would occur on such a popular site on facebook, especially with my low volume settings. Can anyone verify if this does or does not happen on their 15" Late 2013 Macbook Pro?

I also seemed to hear a bit of "rattling" or vibrating sounds when watching a Netflix movie at max volume which caused me to lower the volume a few bars. I'm not sure if these are the type of speakers you are supposed to "break in" a little bit before maxing the volume? If so I would hope Apple would do that before shipment?

Well anyways I'm a little paranoid that something could be wrong with my macbook pro, it's hard to tell since it's not like every sound is obviously wrong. But the facebook notification thing is a bit much for me to ignore this issue...

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 5, 2013 11:42 PM

3 replies

Dec 19, 2013 6:14 AM in response to Tokadub

I also have late 2013 MBP Retina 15" and noticed the same problem with notification sounds on Skype and Adium. Default send/receive sounds on Adium is perfect example because I get very odd, some sort of "metal" sound when using internal speakers, however if I connect my headphones sounds seems perfectly fine.

If anyone else want to try a difference, try Adium->Preferences->events and test sounds for send/receive with both internal speakers and headphones.

Late 2013 15" Macbook Pro distorts audio with Facebook notifications?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.