Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not charging with USB extension cable

Hello,

I bought a male to female USB extension cable so I could teach my daughter how to connect and recharge her shuffle without worrying about her fidgeting with the USB ports at the back of our iMac. To my surprise, it didn't mount on the desktop and it wouldn't recharge the battery when I connected it to the female end of the cable. But iTunes sees it and can play the songs on it.

I tried the first R, restarting the iMac, but to no avail.
The cable is 6' long, it's the shortest I could find. I have'nt checked it with another USB device but it's my next step.

In the meantime, any advice or tip is appreciated.

Thanx.

Philippe

iMac G5 Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Jul 17, 2006 8:25 AM

5 replies

Jul 19, 2006 9:52 AM in response to Philippe Labelle

Well, I partially solved my problem. (Hey, thanks for the overwhelming response, guys and gals! 😉

I borrowed a shorter but similar cable from a colleague at work and, after updating to the latest iPod software, I was able to mount, add songs to and recharge my daughter's shuffle through an extension cable.

Seems like length of cable does matter in this case since I still can't get anything trhough the 6' cable that I initially bought.

Now my problem is to find a short USB cable. Which won't be easy since most electronics store only stock 6' cables as the shortest available. I phoned my local Apple store and was told the same thing.

My colleague says she got her short cable with the purchase of her jump drive. Problem is I don't need another jump drive.

Guess I'll have to make calls around.

iMac G5 Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Jul 19, 2006 10:04 AM in response to Philippe Labelle

It may not be the length of the cable specifically but instead the manufacturer of that cable didn't connect or include wires to bring out the +5V and Ground lines. It might be at that length you don't want to drag out the 5V so the manufacturer specifically didn't connect them. Or it is just a cheap cable where they saved 3-cents by using a 2 or 3 wire cable instead of a 4 wire cable.
Another solution would be to get a USB2 hub which you can connect to the back of the computer and then lay on the desk to be easily accessible from the front for your daughter.
Patrick

Jul 19, 2006 11:31 AM in response to PT

It may not be the length of the
cable specifically but instead the manufacturer of
that cable didn't connect or include wires to bring
out the +5V and Ground lines. It might be at that
length you don't want to drag out the 5V so the
manufacturer specifically didn't connect them. Or it
is just a cheap cable where they saved 3-cents by
using a 2 or 3 wire cable instead of a 4 wire cable.

Interesting. That could be it but the store where I bought it has a solid reputation and the manufacturer was Belkin, if I remember well.
Another solution would be to get a USB2 hub which you
can connect to the back of the computer and then lay
on the desk to be easily accessible from the front
for your daughter.
Patrick

Yes, I thought about that solution. Of course, a hub would solve everything and allow me to plug other USB devices but it's more expensive than a cheap short cable.
Thanks, Patrick.

Aug 29, 2006 10:42 AM in response to Chris CA

(Late follow-up, was away on vacation)

My solution was to accept the gift of the short USB extension that my colleague had initially lent me. Sweet of her!

Since then, every USB device, from shuffle to digital camera, can connect through it to the Mac without any problems.

Would consider buying a powered hub in the future, as Chris recommended, if they're proven to be that cheap.

Thanks everyone! Hope it can help others.

Not charging with USB extension cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.