Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers will not open previous spreadsheet

OK, my knowledge of Numbers is limited but here goes - I downloaded the newest version of Numbers and opened a spreadsheet, did some work in it and closed it. Now when I go to open the same spreadsheet, it says "You need a newer version of Numbers to open this spreadsheet." I went to the App Store and checked it and it says I downloaded the most recent version of Numbers. What can I do? It does not allow me to download numbers again, so it seems that I am stuck, any suggestions?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 6, 2013 7:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2013 7:46 AM

Hi sacctyguy,

This is confusing to a lot of people. When you downloaded the new version of Numbers the old version remained on your Mac. The new version is in Applications. The old version is in a subfolder within Applications. The icons look similar so it's easy to think you're trying to open a document with the new version whereas in fact the old version has been activated and is trying to open it.

User uploaded file

(old version on top, new on bottom)

If you tend to open documents from Finder then right-click and Open With ... Numbers.app (3.0).

Or you can open Numbers 3.0 (the one in the Applications folder, not the iWork '09 subfolder) and open the document from there.

Any icons you had on the Dock before the upgrade are of course still pointing to the old version.

SG

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2013 7:46 AM in response to sacctyguy

Hi sacctyguy,

This is confusing to a lot of people. When you downloaded the new version of Numbers the old version remained on your Mac. The new version is in Applications. The old version is in a subfolder within Applications. The icons look similar so it's easy to think you're trying to open a document with the new version whereas in fact the old version has been activated and is trying to open it.

User uploaded file

(old version on top, new on bottom)

If you tend to open documents from Finder then right-click and Open With ... Numbers.app (3.0).

Or you can open Numbers 3.0 (the one in the Applications folder, not the iWork '09 subfolder) and open the document from there.

Any icons you had on the Dock before the upgrade are of course still pointing to the old version.

SG

Numbers will not open previous spreadsheet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.