Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

One-way sync contacts from Exchange to iPhone

I sync my company Exchange account to my iPhone including mail, contacts, and calendar. I generally don't create business events or contacts on my iPhone, but I do want them to show up on my iPhone after adding them in Outlook. Is it possible to sync contacts one way? I don't need my veterinarian or local chinese place showing up in company contacts.

There was a similar post back in 2008, but about calendars, and I know that now there are multiple calendars to keep personal and business separate.

ETA: Deleting is both ways, as well, so I can't just delete them in my desktop Outlook because it deletes them from my iPhone.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Dec 6, 2013 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2013 1:41 PM

No, syncing is not one way.

If you do not want your personal contacts on the Exchange server, do not add them there.

When adding a new contact on the device, tell it where to save the contact, either Exchange or the local iPhone address book, or iCloud (or other service). This is at the very bottom of the contact add screen.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2013 1:41 PM in response to RIradical

No, syncing is not one way.

If you do not want your personal contacts on the Exchange server, do not add them there.

When adding a new contact on the device, tell it where to save the contact, either Exchange or the local iPhone address book, or iCloud (or other service). This is at the very bottom of the contact add screen.

Dec 6, 2013 2:01 PM in response to diesel vdub

That wasn't the solution, but it helped me find it. There is no group selection on iOS7, either when I add or edit contacts. From my "All Contacts" screen I could touch "Groups" in the upper left and select which list I want to see, but all new contacts entered from the iPhone end up on the Exchange list. I had to go to settings and change the default account to iCloud instead of Exchange.

One-way sync contacts from Exchange to iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.