Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Administering ARD from a client station

I just downloaded ARD 3.7.1 (first time user) to my (new) Mini at the office.

I also own a MBPro and will install the ARD Client on it.

Can I administer ARD on the Mini from anyhere remote?

Are there any restrictions or loss of features?

Art

PS - All computers have OSX 10.9 and the latest updates.

Apple Remote Desktop-OTHER, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 6, 2013 9:59 AM

1 reply

Dec 6, 2013 2:28 PM in response to artkalv

ARD can work across the Internet as long as you make sure the necessary IP ports are open and forwarded in routers on both ends of the connection, and that you allow for changes to the IP address when the client system gets its IP address via DHCP. That can make using ARD across the Internet a pain, particularly when the client system is mobile.

I'm a bit confused as to which way you expect things to work. Are you planning to control and administer the Mac mini from your MacBook? Or were you thinking about administering the MacBook from the mini? You can actually do both, but the issue of changing DHCP addresses and network ports is more difficult when dealing with a mobile device as the client.

Just to make sure it's clear, the client software (already built into OS X) goes on the system you wish to control and administer. The ARD application you buy from the Mac App Store goes on the system you wish to administer from. This may be clear to you, but just to make sure.

Regards.

Administering ARD from a client station

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.