Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My ipad keeps freezing

My ipad keeps freezing. The home button doesnt work and there is space left on the ipad. Turning it off and on again only works in so far as I can access 1 app before it freezes again. Can anyone help please?

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Dec 6, 2013 11:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2017 11:58 PM

This may depend on a virus/worm causing it you should go get a repair to make sure it with prevent it from doing the freezing or this might depend how old your device is but it's a good idea to get a repair or ask an ipad expert to help you.
🙂

29 replies

Aug 12, 2017 11:33 AM in response to bilbo_baggins

I know believe that this is an Apple issue with their last few updates. My ipad never froze before. I actually did a complete reset to factory new, Set it up again but did not load any of my previous apps or files and when I opened safarie to the internet on ebay, it was still freezing and stalling. By the way, I fave fast wi-fi here a home, so that is not it.

So I also took a brand new Air 2, set it up and it does the same thing both at home and on the 4G away from home. I feel that app,e is ignoring this problem and in my case it seems to be getting worse. But mostly on the internet.

I also have purchased a ne Lenovo 12" tablet with Windows 10 and it wotks great, no stalling on anything.

You need to wake up apple and fix this!!!!!!!!!! 😱

Dec 17, 2013 9:59 PM in response to Boris2013

This is now the third post I've responded to on this annoying problem. I was getting frustrated with my iPad 3 64g wifi after the iOS 7.04 update. This is what has brought great improvement to me. In settings, turn off background app refresh. If you have auto update from the App Store, turn that off too. Then reboot your iPad. I haven't had a freeze since I've done that. Perhaps suboptimal, but it works. Given the cost of a loaded iPad, I don't want to have to upgrade anytime soon. Please report your results as I'm tracking a bunch of people who are trying to fix it and I'd like to know if this is a global fix or not for older iPads. Thanks.

Mar 19, 2014 11:06 AM in response to Boris2013

I've also been having freezeups on my Ipad. Soo frustrating. I've turned off location services, auto refresh, email push, everything I can find that is auto. I also regularly close out the apps by double clicking on the home button and swiping them up and off the screen. That does nothing to help the freezing. I've turned off the Ipad and rebooted it. NOTHING HELPS. I first noticed it in Facebook and now it even does it when I'm trying to play Pandora. I'm about ready to boot it and get a Dell tablet.

May 12, 2014 3:44 AM in response to Boris2013

Mine is having similar problems. For example if I enter my passcode and press OK, it then takes 30-60 seconds to go to the home screen. Sometimes launching an app causes the app icon to go darker and then the iPad freezes for 30-60 seconds - the funny thing is that after that time it then quickly goes through any button presses I made during that time. eg. if I've pressed the home button, it launches the app and then closes the app again.

Jun 19, 2014 7:56 AM in response to Boris2013

Hope this helps, I have narrowed down my iPad freezing issue to downloading movies at least in my case a rental movie. 60 seconds after turning on my download my iPad freezes. initially did not notice this because I thought it was already downloaded in the background. But when I tried to watch the download I couldn't. So that she had tried pausing the download, and guess what no more freezing. Restart the download and 60 seconds later it freezes again. Not sure why this is happening but that seems to be the solution for my ipad. I will try to update after contacting Apple and figuring out a solution.

out to do this I reset my iPad using the technique of holding the off button and home button for 10 seconds. Then when it rebooted I immediately went into the iTunes store and purchased tab and then pause the download of the movie. In my case it was the movie loan survivor.

Mar 19, 2015 3:14 PM in response to Boris2013

I have been getting freezes specifically when messaging on Facebook. Often if I edit the message I'm writing, Safari freezes, but I can still press the Home button and open another app like Mail. Then I go back to Safari and it works again, except that I've lost the FB message I was writing. Anyone else had this problem?

Apr 2, 2015 11:31 PM in response to Lowell Tuttman

Hello sir

I am using IPad air, bought last year in Jan from Portland store. Recently my IPad started freezing and I tried everything from soft to hard reset. 1st it started after connecting it to itunes (Did nothing just connected) 2nd time updated ISO & did factory settings through Itunes. 3rd time again just connected to I tunes after turning it off for 15-20 mins. It is frozen again. Tried hard reset (din't help). If I try to restore it through Itunes it would ask me to go to Icloud and turn off 'find my Ipad" Since I can not enter Icloud through Ipad how do I do that?? Also what to do next if it doesn't help my Ipad to get unfreeze. I swear I am not going to buy Apple product again in my life. Spent $500 on this junk and just for one year. My 5 year old Lenovo is going strong which I bought for just $800.

Looking forward for the solution.

Thanks

My ipad keeps freezing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.