Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to transfer music to new laptop

Hi,

I have been trying to move my itunes music from the old laptop to the new one. I have enabled homesharing on both and can see the icon in the drop down menu when both machines are active. I am able to move any new music from the new laptop to the old but I am unable to see the old laptop music libary on my new laptop. On the new laptop home sharing comes in the drop down menu when I select it I get a little circle with arrows for few seconds and then it just doesn't open another window (which is what my old laptop does) so I don't ever get the import options

I wonder if anyone has any idea that might help me.

Thank you

Windows 8

Posted on Dec 6, 2013 11:27 AM

1 reply

Dec 8, 2013 7:08 AM in response to jmdtk

Hi jmdtk,

Welcome to the Support Communities!

If you are having issues with the Home Sharing method, I would suggest backing up your music to an external hard drive as described in this article:

iTunes: How to move your music to a new computer

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4527

Notes before you start:

• Windows operating systems don't recognize Mac OS-formatted disks (HFS or HFS Plus formats). Because of this, you can't use a Mac-formatted iPod or external drive to move your music to a Windows PC. See iPod: How to determine iPod's hard disk format if you're not sure how your iPod is formatted.
  • Mac OS X can read Windows-formatted iPods and drives. This means there are many ways to migrate your information from your old Windows-based PC to your new Mac.
  • Mac OS X: To be sure external drives appear on your desktop, choose Preferences from the Finder menu. Be sure the options for "External disks" and "Hard disks" are enabled.

I hope this information helps ....

Have a great day!

- Judy

unable to transfer music to new laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.