9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2013 11:27 PM by Terence Devlin
Niku Level 2 Level 2 (285 points)

Here is a message that just appeared on my screen when I tried to find some photos that I had just downloaded from my camera.

Screen Shot 2013-12-06 at 1.34.49 PM.png

It seems to me that the last time I saw this message and clicked on "Upgrade," I lost all of my photos. I FINALLY (days later) found them and got them back, but I don't want to have to go through that again.

Is it safe to click on "Upgrade"? If I do that, will I "lose" all of my photos until I can figure out how to retreive them?

iDVD 7.1.1 (1150)
  • Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (134,480 points)

If upgrading meant that you "lost all your photos" then your Library was corrupt.

Back up before you upgrade.

• Niku Level 2 Level 2 (285 points)

Okay, I'm going to click on it. Because of my previous experience, I now know that they're only lost until you can find them again. So, if I lose them again, I'll be back here for instructions on relocating them. Oh, I shuld add that I have everything backed up with Time Machine. Finding things there is not as easy as I would like, but it can be done.

Two ore questions:

(1) Where do photos go after being downloaded from my camera? I can't find the ones I just took.

(2) How about this? It popped up on my screen just now when I started searching for the photos I just took.

Screen Shot 2013-12-06 at 3.02.44 PM.png

• LarryHN Level 9 Level 9 (68,595 points)

1 - sounds like with your sort is wrong - fix under th eview menu ==> soret events - or your camera data/time is wrong - correct on your camera and correct the photos imported using the adjust time/date command

2 - this looks like you clicked on the switch library command - maybe by mistake

LN

I don't know what "switching libraries" means. What might happen if I click on "Relaunch"? Anything that I wouldn't want to happen?

Switching libraries is switching from one library to another

If you intended to do that then click relaunch  --  if you do not then click cancel

LN

I'm not trying to be difficult, but what's the difference between libraries? Why is there more than one library? Most important, is there a chance that I will lose all of my photos again if I click on Relaunch?

only you know why you have multiple libraries or what the difference between them is - multiple libraries is not something iphoto does - users create libraries

switching libraries will not lose photos - but since you do not seem to be intending to switch libraries you should simpy cancel as I suggested above

If you do want to switch libraries then click relaunch

LN

• Terence Devlin Level 10 Level 10 (134,480 points)

Perhaps this is why you "lost" all your Photos. Prehaps you have two libraries, one that you don't know about.

Hold down the option (or alt) key key and launch iPhoto. How Many libraries are listed there?