Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Want to remove photos in Recents

Heavy user of Aperture for several years after being informed by Apple that iPhoto’s weaker data base would get screwed up, as in fact mine had. I never opened iPhoto after that so it’s database remained old and inactive.

When the New MacBook Pro (2 weeks old) was initialized, iPhoto was opened in the process and iPhoto apparently hooked to the Aperture database, the only photo database on the new MAC. Information gathered on this subject indicate that iPhoto populated the “Event” (that is not an Event to Aperture) to Aperture’s RECENTS from iPhoto’s RECENTS. Can’t Delete or control Photos in Aperture’s RECENTs because it came from iPhoto and is not recognized as an Event. It contains the same photos as a Project already in Aperture, so I assume it is some kind of duplicate.

So, in iTunes, when I sync photos… Sync from Aperture is selected, then Select Albums, Events, Faces and automatically include: … NO Events selected.

Summary:

The iPhoto Event sent to Aperture and residing in RECENT is ignored by the “No Events” option. It can not be deleted and I certainly do not want the original Aperture Project in Aperture to be affected. 2 sets of photos appear in iPhone and iPad, one containing a whole bunch of photos I do not care to display on my Devices... but am forced to.

There are now 3 such sets all from fifferent time with work flow inbetween not affected.

Work flow: Create edited image in Photoshop. Import jpgs to Aperture, Project. Select bunch and placed in Album. Albums chosen as source to display on remotes.

MacBookPro 17', Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Dec 6, 2013 3:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2013 1:20 AM

No you can't delete photos in RECENT. Recent is just a reference to the last Project that you viewed, not a file with photos.

8 replies

Dec 7, 2013 3:14 AM in response to Ross Millard

What versions of iPhoto, Aperture, and IOS are you using? Are you using the most recent versions Aperture 3.5, iPhoto 9.5, and iPhoto 2.0 (IOS 7) on your iPad and iPhone?

All three "Recent" albums are created automatically, as norbertmuc pointed out - the "Recent" event in iPhoto, the "Recent" project in Aperture, and the "Recent" album in iPhoto on your iPad (if you are viewing your photos in iPhoto on your iPad). These recent albums are just smart albums for quick access to recently used images. They will show images contained in other library items, and these smart albums will not duplicate the images they are showing, so they do not require any additional space, neither on your mac nor on your iPad.

The project you are seeing in Aperture in the "Recent" section is the last project you browsed by opening it from the "Projects" view. Try to open a different project from "Projects" in Aperture and you will see, that the Aperture "Recent" project will change.

2 sets of photos appear in iPhone and iPad, one containing a whole bunch of photos I do not care to display on my Devices... but am forced to.

Please explain more, where exactly you are seeing unwanted images on your iPad or iPhone, if it is not the "Recent" album in iPhoto on IOS. These album is not synced from your Mac, iPhoto 2.0 on IOS creates it automatically from photos on your iPad or iPhone.

No you can't delete photos in RECENT.

Actually, you can delete any photo in the recent project (in Aperture) like in any other smart album, Norbert - only you should not, because it will delete the photos from the original project. You will not want to do that.

after being informed by Apple that iPhoto’s weaker data base would get screwed up, as in fact mine had.

I wonder which Apple representative told you that. iPhoto is just as robust as Aperture, and since last year both applications are using exactly the same photo library format.

Dec 7, 2013 7:32 AM in response to léonie

Thank norbertmuc and Leonie.... Reply to wuestions

I do not care what goes to RECENTS. Not until very recently, did they start to appear on my remote devices. There does not appear to be any way to control there presence on remote devices.

2 sets of photos appear question..... My work flow is to Inport a number of Photoshop edited photos from a shoot Impoted to a newly created Project. Then create an Album and place select photos in the Album to use to "send to Remote devices for viewing. Albums only show on Devices. It all worked fine till afoot or so months ago.

At some later times I might export an image, modify it in Photoshop, then Import it back to the Project and place it in it's corresponding Album... showing on Devices. It is Albums that I want to select which photos appear on Devices.

2 things. The photos in RECENTS are not always the last one. I can have a set of photos appearing there after I have created a later new Project. They seem to be the ones RECENT wants there.

Also, the photos that appear in Devices are duplicates of a Project, not an Album. So photos I don't want on Devices, can not control, and defy the "Use Albums" to communicate with Devices are still there on Devices.

Iphoto is just as robust as Aperture. I assume that is true. Several years ago, at 80, it seems like yesterday, but maybe 5, 6 years ago the database framework in Aperture was totally different and "more solid". My iPhoto fell to that older design and I had a mess cleaning them up. That's when I was told, with my heavy use and volume of photos, to switch to the newer Aperture database. Since then iPhoto has been designed to also be able to use the Aperture database structure.... so Apple has related to me.

The bottom line. The stuff in RECENT never use to appear on my Devices and appears in a mannor I do not want (Project, not Album) and can not seem to be controlled.

What I'm about to do is Export Project photos to a file on desktop to keep them. Then fighure out how to delete them all from everywhere in Aperture. Create a new Project and put them back, and create the corresponding Album with just the select photos I want to "send" to Devices thru an iTunes Sync.

Again, many thanks

Dec 7, 2013 9:15 AM in response to norbertmuc

Here, you said:

you can't delete photos in RECENT. Recent is just a reference to the last Project that you viewed, not a file with photos.

The OP marked this as liked.

Léonie pointed out, correcting your mis-information:

you can delete any photo in the recent project (in Aperture) like in any other smart album

To which you responded:

Sure you can delete there, but than all is gone. Thats not what he wanted.

Which the OP also "liked".

I find this troubling. Both of your statements can't be true. The OP must be confused at this point.

Dec 7, 2013 10:33 AM in response to Ross Millard

Ross, I am still not sure about what you are seeing on your devices and where. Are you viewing your photos on the devices in the Photos.app or iPhoto.app on your iPhone and iPad? And are you using IOS 7 or an earlier IOS version?

2 things. The photos in RECENTS are not always the last one. I can have a set of photos appearing there after I have created a later new Project. They seem to be the ones RECENT wants there.

No, the "Recent" in Aperture is the last project you browsed recently from the "Projects" view. That project can be many years old.

Have you tried to delete the iPod Photo Cache? If iTunes is syncing items to your iDevices that you did not enable to be synced, this Cache might be corrupted, see this document: iTunes: Understanding the iPod Photo Cache folder

Dec 7, 2013 3:16 PM in response to léonie

Thanks for keepin with me on this.

I use the Photo.app on 2 iPads and an iPhone. Wife uses one iPad. Using 2 week old MacBook Pro with all, latest to date software... so yes, OS 10.9... iOS 7.0.4 (11B554a)... Aperture 3.5.1.

I haven't had this till recently. It just irritates me that if I want to control images going to my Devices only from Albums... that now random "Projects, often with tons of photos I don't want... going to my Devices.

You explained one thing that RECENT shows last project broused, There have been as many as 4 showing which may indicate RECENTS is "all" projects browsed in some specific period of time.

Now that I'm understanding RECENTS better, Thanks to you, all I need to do is figure out how to "Block" RECENT from dumping unnecessary, unwanted Project photos of to Devices.

The initial Aperture structure allowing Albums to be the controlling "thing" to show/no show desired images on a

device was perfect. Suddenly there apparently has been added RECENT sending Projects to Devices, and unable to control this function. Correct?

It's down to disabling RECENT from going to Devices -- sending junk Project images not wanted on Devices.

Again Thanks.

Dec 7, 2013 8:44 PM in response to Ross Millard

I solved it! With a better understanding of RECENT I just unchecked all albums in iTunes, Photo; did a sync; then to clear photos: checked only the "problem" albums. They returned fine. Selected the rest and they returned fine, What was in RECENT was now not on Devices. A bit hazy as to why this worked but... hey, it's solved.

Many thanks for the kind help. Good luck, and thanks leonie. Ross Millard

Want to remove photos in Recents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.