Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the iPad Air wifi have 'personal Hotspot' ?

Does the iPad air have personal hotspot? It is usually located in settings but I can't seem to find it. I have an iPad air wifi? Help?

iPad

Posted on Dec 6, 2013 3:53 PM

15 replies

May 5, 2014 10:26 AM in response to AllAboutApple

Do you even understand what a Personal Hotspot does?

Its both impossible, and ultimately pointless to have a hotspot feature on a Wifi only iPad.

The Personal Hotspot feature shares a cellular Internet connection to other devices.

If you do not have a Cellular capable iPad you cannot connect to a cellular service because the hardware is simply not in there. Its physically impossible.

Also if you have a Wifi only iPad sharing an internet connection is pointless, as the Wifi iPad needs a Wifi connection. If there's one available for the iPad then any other device can connect to it as well.

Perhaps if you tell us exactly what you want to accomplish, we may be able to provide some solutions.

Oct 3, 2014 7:49 AM in response to Juyoong

No. Wifi only iPads do not have Personal Hotspot, because there is no point to it.

As has been said before, Personal Hotspot is used to share out the iPad's Cellular Internet Connection. If there is no Cellular Internet Connection there is nothing to share. Since Wifi only iPads have no cellular connection the option will not be there.

If the Option is present in you iPad, then you have a Cellular Capable iPad.

Jun 23, 2017 4:56 AM in response to Kate_Jay

OK, so I understand the limitation that Apple restricts hot spots to a cellular device but I do not agree that it makes sense to restrict this to just cellular devices. Take for instance the situation I find myself in on holiday abroad with just a single free connection to the resorts WiFi. I can connect my iPad but then wanted to create a hot spot for my phone to connect into but can't.... Why not, it's just a WiFi or Bluetooth connection between 2 devices, one of which has an internet connection?

May 5, 2014 10:18 AM in response to Kate_Jay

I just purchased an iPad Air 128 gig Wifi. I thought it had hot spot capability and when I went to settings I could not find it. I was so disappointed. HOWEVER, I called Apple Tech support about by plight and disappointment and wanted to send it back. He said he has the wifi (not cellular) and uses hot spot with it. The way you do this...

Call you carrier i.e Verizon (that is who he uses): Ask if your plan allows for you to have hot spot. If so, ask the Verizon tech to tell you how to acitivate it on your iPad Air Wifi settings. If you do not have a plan for this I guess you can pay to get it. He said he uses it every day.

I am now in the process of trying to get in touch with Verizon to find out about my plan. Just wanted to let you all know that according to Apple Tech it is possible.

I sure hope it works because I just missed my 30 day return of the iPad Air.

May 5, 2014 10:25 AM in response to AllAboutApple

The Verizon plan you refer to is a "Cellular" dta plan and if you read the responses closely an Ipad air wifi only has no cellular capability and there is no means to activate somethinbg that does not exist, you MUST have an ipad with wifi + Cellular for this feature.

You can purchase another component called a MI-Fi that is a hotspot only device for use with wifi only ipads. and Verizon does carry these and has data plans for them available.

May 8, 2014 3:08 PM in response to AllAboutApple

AllAboutApple wrote:

I just purchased an iPad Air 128 gig Wifi. I thought it had hot spot capability and when I went to settings I could not find it. I was so disappointed. HOWEVER, I called Apple Tech support about by plight and disappointment and wanted to send it back. He said he has the wifi (not cellular) and uses hot spot with it. The way you do this...

Call you carrier i.e Verizon (that is who he uses): Ask if your plan allows for you to have hot spot. If so, ask the Verizon tech to tell you how to acitivate it on your iPad Air Wifi settings. If you do not have a plan for this I guess you can pay to get it. He said he uses it every day.

I am now in the process of trying to get in touch with Verizon to find out about my plan. Just wanted to let you all know that according to Apple Tech it is possible.

I sure hope it works because I just missed my 30 day return of the iPad Air.

Ways to get to the internet:

1) Share your iPad data (iPad becomes a personal hotspot. Other wifi devices access the internet through iPad over WiFi connection)

2) Share your smartphone data (your smartphone becomes the hotspot. iPad connects to the internet through smartphone over WiFi connection)

What you described above is enabling hotspot on your Verizon smartphone (#2). Your WiFi only iPad connects to the internet through your smartphone over WiFi connection. I'm sure Apple tech explains it correctly but since you don't know the difference, you got confused and spread this wrong info.

Does the iPad Air wifi have 'personal Hotspot' ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.