Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Always have iPad mini to the left of my Macbook Air while watching TV. If mini touches left side of Macbook, the screen goes black and it shuts down. Just by touching. Anyone know why this happens?

Always have iPad mini to the left of my Macbook Air while watching TV. If mini touches left side of Macbook, the Macbook screen goes black, and it shuts down. Just by touching. Anyone know why this happens?

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 6, 2013 6:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2013 7:42 PM

I tried to recreate your occurrence, could not recreate it.

The Air monitor feed cable is on the RIGHT side, so its extremely unlikely (near impossible) it could be EMI or RFI

There should no logical reasoning behind same.

However the IO board is on that side, but the Ipad mini even with a tri-field meter puts out next to nothing

Contact Apple for in shop diagnostic / examination 😊

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2013 7:42 PM in response to ray_ciaf

I tried to recreate your occurrence, could not recreate it.

The Air monitor feed cable is on the RIGHT side, so its extremely unlikely (near impossible) it could be EMI or RFI

There should no logical reasoning behind same.

However the IO board is on that side, but the Ipad mini even with a tri-field meter puts out next to nothing

Contact Apple for in shop diagnostic / examination 😊

Dec 6, 2013 7:50 PM in response to stedman1

iPad is not connected and Air is not connected to power. I was just experimenting with exactly how it happens. The right side of mini where the volume button is touches near the left side of Air where the power charger port is, Air goes black. I move it away, and it comes back on. If it stays too long together, it will not come back on unless I hit power button on Air. I don't want to do it too much becuase it is so strange and could be harmful. Not really a problem since the solution is to just not touch them together.

Dec 6, 2013 8:04 PM in response to ray_ciaf

well, Ive tried a dozen ways to recreate what youre saying, no "luck"

Yes, this would have to be EMI or RFI issue between both devices and the IO board, theres no other logical causation by mere metal on metal contact

if EMI or RFI, contact itself should not even need to happen, rather mere proximity

Can you post a pic of the EXACT type of contact causing same.

(with your IPAD OFF to not let this happen again)

Dec 6, 2013 9:05 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

No, I thought of that, too. My old cover was magnetic, but this one is not. Sorry, it is dark, but this way you could see the Air shutting off better. Yes, it is the cover lol. I just tried it without the cover, mini only, and it didn't work. Then tried just the cover, and it shut if off. This cover does not shut off the mini, though, like my old one so I didn't think it was magnetic. The back must be magnetic to help hold it in place. Hey, thanks! Maybe it is the magnets touching each other.

Always have iPad mini to the left of my Macbook Air while watching TV. If mini touches left side of Macbook, the screen goes black and it shuts down. Just by touching. Anyone know why this happens?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.