Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I uninstall "Eyes on the Solar System"?

I recently installed "Eyes on the Solar System" from NASA's web site. It is compatible with OS X and runs fine, but I want to delete it. If I drag it to Trash, the icon just returns to Launchpad. If I hold down on the screen, I do not get an X. This was not downloaded through the App Store, and has no delete option in its menu.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of this program?

Thanks.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 13" ; 256gb drive, 8mb mem, i7.

Posted on Dec 6, 2013 6:53 PM

17 replies

Dec 7, 2013 5:13 AM in response to saholz

I couldn't find it in my applications folder, so I'll keep looking. I could not uninstall it from the Launchpad, where it now sits.

I am new to OS X, coming off many years with various Windows incarnations. I do like the relative simplicity and logic of OS X, but not having an accessible uninstall utility for third party software in the operating system is odd. It's also odd that this program doesn't include its own uninstall option. I have emailed the developer and asked for specific uninstall directions.

The app actually works fine, and I may keep it, but not having a quick and easy way of deleting it is really annoying. That one stupid omission has already soured me on this otherwise decent and free app.

Dec 7, 2013 7:56 AM in response to saholz

saholz,

There are several versions on the Mac download page. Which one did you install?

http://eyes.jpl.nasa.gov/download.html

The one that Barney-15E downloaded (from the 'click here' link) is the 'alternative version'. It's just a zip file with the application, that could be inside your Downloads folder inside your home folder.

The other one which I downloaded (from the 'Download' button) is a 'package installer' it looks looks a box with with a yellow cube inside.

There are 6 items in the package, but they all seem to be installed into the Application.

I installed it & it appeared in my user folder inside the Applications folder. If you only have the Nasa app in there delete the entire folder (you don't really need 2 apps folders).

I agree with you, it is poor of Apple to not provide uninstall options, specifically for package installers that create receipts of what was installed.

Apple don't keep track of apps that are 'drag installed' so you will need to make sure you drag apps into the Applications folder before you use them, otherwise it's easy to forget where they are.

Dec 7, 2013 9:17 AM in response to Barney-15E

I get 'NASA's Eyes.pkg' on 10.6 & 10.9, I'm unclear on what you have downloaded, it appears to be a flat package as far as I can tell.

The items do get installed into the application bundle, including the internet plugin, but it is linked from inside the hidden user ~/Library/Internet Plugins.

saholz, to clean up the 'plugin link' too…

Open the Finder's 'Go' menu whilst holding down the alt key. Select the Library item, open the Internet Plug-ins folder, delete the 'npNASAEyes.plugin'.

NASA appear to be using Apple's recommended install methods (aside from allowing the install destination to be selected), but Apple's tools don't provide uninstall options. 'pkgutil' doesn't even think it is installed.

This is why we have people making AppCleaner, AppZapper, AppTrap, CleanMyMac…

How do I uninstall "Eyes on the Solar System"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.