Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Sand/Dust get in your Macbook scratch the battery, creating shorter battery life/service battery message on your screen?

(mine is a 2012 Macbook Air) I recently went into a store, UNDER WARRENTY, and they checked it out, and said they couldn't replace it under warrenty, therefore i would have to pay $150 to get a new battery. They say they couldn't because it was USER- created. No, how in the world could i have possibly gotten sand in there, they say it was through the ports or something, but i don't go outside with it?! Can they do that?

This error message appeared ONLY when i downloaded Mavericks.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 6, 2013 7:38 PM

1 reply

Dec 6, 2013 7:48 PM in response to capesue

It is impossible for sand to damage the sealed pack cells themselves.

Living near the beach, I can tell you that PART OF SAND is baby powder grade and most definitely CAN get into the macbook Air.

You said "because it was USER- created" as they said...... the question is WHAT was 'user created' ?

damage to battery contacts damaged by sand, yes that is possible.

the battery itself no, but the feed and connection to the board is part OF the battery, as such, same thing.

battery connector part of battery

User uploaded file

http://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/52FEHP115RHrdUk4.huge

Can Sand/Dust get in your Macbook scratch the battery, creating shorter battery life/service battery message on your screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.