Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Was my disk formatting successful?

I've been struggling for a few weeks with my iMac. I installed Mavericks and unfortunately because of the indexing or something in that arena I was advised to completely reformat the disk. I haven't done anything further so it's not running yet. I have taken a photo with my 4S and would appreciate if someone could verify if it looks good.

The two photos may look identical but the first one was taken while the iMac was still booted on 10.8.5 Recovery (flash drive) the second one was after the computer rebooted on the same flash/recovery but it now showed 10.8.2 I am assuming it is not an issue. The disk went through the 3 pass zero option after I did a basic format.

Thanks in advance I'll proceed after I get the word…

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 6, 2013 8:23 PM

15 replies

Dec 6, 2013 10:58 PM in response to knarfrh60

From your upside down pic I see you didn't Name the Partition.

Start over. Select the Top entry in the left hand panel then in the center panel select One partition from the Partition Layout area drop down then on the right panel give it a name of "Macintosh HD" (No Quote marks) format Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and then click the Options button and make sure the Partition Table is set to GUID.

Then click the Apply button.

No need to post the Information window just highlight that newly created Macintosh HD partition and post a picture of that, preferably right side up.

Dec 7, 2013 5:35 AM in response to knarfrh60

Post a screen shot like this.

User uploaded file

From the screen shots you are posting the partitioning is all wrong. You have a 100GB partition name Macintosh HD and then a second patition named Untitled that is 899GBs and it looks like the Recovery HD files are on that partition as they take up 650+MBs of space.

Like I said in my First reply, Start Over but this time boot the system from the Online Internet Recovery system or if your Mac come with system reinstall discs use the OS X reinstall disc to boot the system.

Once the system is booted from either the disc or the online system open Disk Utility and select the Top entry on the left, the one that starts with "ST" (That is the Physical hard drive), then in the center section select "One Partition" from the drop down area. Then on the right name it Macintosh HD Format Mac OS X Extended and then Options button and make sure it is set to GUID as the partition Table (which it should be already).

Then Click the Apply button.

Once that is finished then you can reinstall OS X on your Mac or restore it from a Time Machine backup.

Dec 7, 2013 5:53 AM in response to LowLuster

That's just what I was going to address next. I simply wanted to make sure the format had been sucessful and it was my intention to partiton just the 100GB for now toallocate for this install next. The Recovery stuff there that you can see is because I was/am booted to an external start up to work with the iMac disk after the initial use of the flash drive. That's where the recovery started 10.8.2 then 10.8.5 (or reverse)

Please let me know if I'm making a mistake because that's why I haven't moved forward. I have never run into a circumstance with my Mac that all my resources didn't work with this Mavericks install. I understood that my internal was the one affected so badly that I could not use TM and my other stuff to get it back on track so I'm at baby steps here. It was my intention to beging with a small portion for 10.8.2 or 10.8.5 - whatever that would be.

Please advise and thanks for noticing details...that's very important!

Dec 7, 2013 6:10 AM in response to knarfrh60

Yes other than the 2 partitions you have now everything looks fine as far as the format and the Partition table settings.

If you have a external you are starting the system from no need to boot from the Online internet recovery system or a OS X reinstall disc or even from the Recovery HD on your external drive. You can do all the partitioning of the iMac's internal drive from Disk Utility of the external you are starting the computer from.

But please follw my suggestion to repartition the internal iMac drive as One partition (That is unless you want more than one partition for soome reason). Then boot the system from the Recovery HD on that external and select Reinstall Mac OS X and when asked point it to the Macintosh HD partition on the internal drive.

There is no good reason to partition a Mac hard drive into more than one partition. So I don't know why you are making that 100GB partition to install OS X to.

If you post more screen shots don't post the Get Info window, just post a shot of the actual Disk Utility window. It contains all the info needed to answer whatever questions you have and makes it easier to read for people trying to help you.

Dec 7, 2013 7:52 AM in response to LowLuster

Hi...

I hope this is looking much better...? I included the 250gb info for it's OS details and such purely for reference. If the iMac looks good can you give me some suggestions to protect myself from similar disk problems in the future? If it is partitions, externals, disk images....etc I want to include more than just TM. This little Glyph 250 saved me at times too, so it will get a reinstall too, If you need more info please tell me. I was quite unhappy that my TM files couldn't be used but I'm even happier that it all could get fixed while it was just a problem and not a disaster or death!!!

Thanks for your help today

User uploaded file

Dec 7, 2013 7:57 AM in response to knarfrh60

You mean you created Installers for those OS X version of USB flash drives?

If so then you can use one of them to install that version of OS X. Have your Apple ID and password for your Apple ID ready because you will be asked for it to Authorize the install.

knarfrh60 wrote:

Forgot to mention that I have 10.8.5 and 10.8.2 and 10.9 all on different flash drives

Was my disk formatting successful?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.