Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Looking for some BTDT - upgrade to 10.7+ or no?

I've been a very happy 10.6.8 user for a bunch of years. Its stable, fast and ......runs rosetta ( i ahev 1-2 old marginal apps like Appleworks/database/draw).

That said, its getting old, i have no icloud, cant use app-store apps, cant' share phone apps etc.

So.... any up/downsides to upgrading?

If so, do i go to 10.7 or 10.8...10.8 is basically the clean-up of 10.7, much like 10.6 vs 10.5 right?

TIA,

Grant

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.53 GHz), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 7, 2013 6:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2013 6:30 AM

Hi Grant,

If you can do without Rosetta then you will be fine with Mountain Lion. I suppose you could call it a clean up but from what I read Lion was poor. Mountain Lion, on the other hand, has been well received, so go directly to Mountain Lion.

Check your specs first and upgrade the memory to at least 4GB.

Don't even look at Mavericks for the time being. It will be at least two updates before it matures.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2013 6:30 AM in response to Grant Lenahan

Hi Grant,

If you can do without Rosetta then you will be fine with Mountain Lion. I suppose you could call it a clean up but from what I read Lion was poor. Mountain Lion, on the other hand, has been well received, so go directly to Mountain Lion.

Check your specs first and upgrade the memory to at least 4GB.

Don't even look at Mavericks for the time being. It will be at least two updates before it matures.

Dec 7, 2013 2:25 PM in response to Grant Lenahan

I'd skip Lion, but they're both still available : http://store.apple.com/us/product/D6377Z/A/os-x-mountain-lion

If you don't need PPC apps & Rosetta - many people, including me, have found Mavericks to be just fine, save slow Finder window listings... and those not for all. Otherwise, stable & fast here, definitely. If you do a lot of screenshots while significantly zoomed in using Universal Access, I'd avoid it for now, and ML too for that matter.

Dec 7, 2013 2:39 PM in response to andyBall_uk

Fascinating. It would not come up when i searched, and when i called Apple this afternoon, they stated that both had been pulled.

But you have a link.

Now, to complicate more, Mavericks is free, thsi is $20.Not a big deal certainly, but if i'm moving to Mavericks soon....

What's the difference in, for exmple, utility compatability, speed etc. I hear issues with Mavericks, very good with ML.

Thanks again,

Grant

Dec 7, 2013 2:50 PM in response to Grant Lenahan

I think ML had a similar crop of issues/problems wihich were also mostly not as widespread or painful as these forums suggest. Other than mentioned, I've had no speed issues with 10.9. In any case, make a restorable backup or two, keep a copy of the 10.8/9 installer & it's easy enough to revert.

If double-clicking (without keyboard or contextual menu) to open a Finder folder in a new window is something you do a lot - look into that.

utility compatability - you mean 3rd party apps etc ? I don't use many, so anything specific ?.

Dec 7, 2013 6:12 PM in response to andyBall_uk

As to 3rd party stuff, yes l;ots, hard to list all, but xmenu, fruitmenu, office, some wine databases, stuff i can't think of now, unix/bash consistency ( not liek they haven;t changed shells on us before...).. the "make a bootable backup or two is sage advive, fortunately i always have one tested bootable clone and some file backups as well.

thanks,

Grant

Looking for some BTDT - upgrade to 10.7+ or no?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.