Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't setup Apple TV 3rd Gen

I completed the wireless configuration of my Apple TV 3rd gen and also successfully updated the device over the wireless network. After it restarted, a picture appeared on the TV of the appletv device linked by a hdmi wire to a logo of iTunes. And then nothing else worked. I can't proceed to the next step. I disconnected the wires from the Apple TV and reconnected hoping I can get back the Apple TV setup screen but nothing worked. Appreciate some help!

AppleTV 2, iOS 7.0.4, Apple TV 3rd Gen ios7 iTunes v11

Posted on Dec 7, 2013 8:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2013 8:33 AM

Welcome to the Apple Community.

If your problem persists get yourself a micro USB cable (sold separately), you can restore your Apple TV from iTunes:

1. Remove ALL cables from Apple TV. (if you don't you will not see Apple TV in the iTunes Source list)
  2. Connect the micro USB cable to the Apple TV and to your computer.
  3. Reconnect the power cable (only for Apple TV 3)
  4. Open iTunes.
  5. Select your Apple TV in the Devices list, and then click Restore.

(You may already have a micro USB cable if you have a camera or other digital device)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2013 8:33 AM in response to Seanlwk

Welcome to the Apple Community.

If your problem persists get yourself a micro USB cable (sold separately), you can restore your Apple TV from iTunes:

1. Remove ALL cables from Apple TV. (if you don't you will not see Apple TV in the iTunes Source list)
  2. Connect the micro USB cable to the Apple TV and to your computer.
  3. Reconnect the power cable (only for Apple TV 3)
  4. Open iTunes.
  5. Select your Apple TV in the Devices list, and then click Restore.

(You may already have a micro USB cable if you have a camera or other digital device)

Nov 10, 2014 12:51 AM in response to Seanlwk

I have tried this too. It has not worked..... the Apple TV 3rd Gen that I have is a REPLACEMENT for the original that I purchased and had replaced by the Mac store because it refused to set the date/ time/ authenticate/ recognise my Apple ID.

I have done everything mentioned in these forums. The strangest part is that when I first plugged it in, my Macbook and phone could find it over AirPlay, then once I did an update with a micro USB, everything disappeared.

How long is it supposed to take to authenticate and set the time?

Can't setup Apple TV 3rd Gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.