Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes match or homesharing

Hi all,

I recently had to restore my ATV3 because the menu was showing on top of everything (movie playback and music playback). Very weird, but this problem is, after restoring, solved.

But now I'm not sure what is the best way to play music via ATV3.

I have an iTunes Match account, and I have my homesharing activated on my iMac.

Playing a playlist through iTunes Match seems to drop a song every now and then, or just stops in the middle of a song (a spinning gear appears under the track's name) and continues after a few seconds. But this happens a lot since the restore, and frankly, I'm a bit ****** about that because that never happened before. At one time playback completely stopped and ATV returned to its homescreen (is ATV checking the wifi signal?).

Now I was wondering if playing a playlist via homesharing does a better job in terms of availability (wifi).

I really don't know.

And another question: does an ATV perform better when wired?

My ATV has the latest software, hmmm, actually the same version that caused the problems in the first place, needing me to restore the unit.

Oh, and I did reboot my wifi router a couple of times the last couple of days, but that doesn't solve the issues.

Does the ATV store the (XML) variant of a playlist locally?

OS X Mavericks (10.9), iMac 24" (2009 model) 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB Memory

Posted on Dec 7, 2013 9:05 AM

1 reply

Dec 7, 2013 9:14 AM in response to Toon61

Personally I play my music via iTunes whenever possible.

However if you are experiencing issues with iTunes Match, it may well be because of a problem on your network, which maywell affect home sharing too.

Personally I use a wired connection when it is practical.

However I don't have any issues with wifi either.

Any playlist on the Apple TV is only temporary.

iTunes match or homesharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.