Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can FBI moneypak malware infect iPad?

After reading about this particular piece of malware that basically holds your PC ransom (or a least that is what it sounds like), I was wondering if it could infect an iPad or could it affect a PC via wireless connection or email from an iPad that received a message about this malware?

iPad 2

Posted on Dec 7, 2013 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2013 10:21 AM

As long as you do not jailbreak your device it cannot be infected. Furthermore, you may well find the malware only works on Windows computers.

9 replies

May 28, 2015 4:40 AM in response to Red_tiger

I suspect the malevolent code writers have been busy during the last 18 months since the last post. My 2 yr-old iPad's Safari browser has been taken over with a demand for $250 (payable in PayPal- with a handy list of where to get PayPal cards), "supposedly" from the FBI.
I used the settings to shut down wi-fi, went to Safari settings to clear history and website data, and used the advanced tab of safari settings to disable JavaScript. So far, so good.

And no, my iPad was not "jailbroken."

May 28, 2015 5:24 AM in response to Stu Habermehl

Stu Habermehl wrote:

I suspect the malevolent code writers have been busy during the last 18 months since the last post.

Nope, this is just the same old web-based scam. To clear it from Safari on an iPad, just follow the instructions here, under "Clear information from your device":

Safari web settings on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Can FBI moneypak malware infect iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.