Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Apple TV with an Ultra Wide Screen

Hello everyone, I have an LG EA 93, which is an Ultra Wide monitor. The resolution is 2560 x 1080. I am considering the purchse of an Apple TV, however, I am worried that it won't function as expected with my monitor. When watching movies, which are in the cinemascope aspect, they display full screen on my monitor. When connecting an Apple TV, I understand that the menu system is in 16:9, however, when I open a 21:9 movie, will it display full screen on my monitor, or will it be letter and pillar boxed? For example: when watching a 21:9 movie on Netflix, I get letter and pillarboxing, ie the movie is surrounded by 4 black bars, essentially creting a frame.

Also, the monitor has dual inputs, which can be used simultaneously. If I conect my Mac and the Apple TV at the same time, will the Apple TV be able to cope witht he reduced resolution of 1280 x 1080?

Thank you very much for your help in advance

Posted on Dec 7, 2013 9:35 AM

8 replies

May 20, 2017 2:08 AM in response to moritzhberg

All Apple TV models can only output 16:9 ratio using the HDMI connection.

If you have a 21:9 ratio monitor, your only option is to use the ratio scaling feature and zoom functions provided by the monitor.

This also means all videos played through the Apple TV will be defaulted to 16:9 ratio only.

Some services such as Vevo, Netflix and YouTube will allow you to display the original ratio of the content other than 16:9.

If the content is uploaded in 21:9 then you will have the ability to display that ratio on the monitor but only using a PC or Mac.

Please be aware some 21:9 content you see are actually uploaded in 16:9 letterbox, so the black bars are permanent and your option is to use the monitors zoom function.

A 21:9 video uploaded or are only available to watch in 16:9 letterbox usually means the video is of a lower quality as the actually video resolution must fit into the 16:9 resolution (usually 1920x1080)

A proper stream or video should from any service should only contain the video in its original ratio and resolution. A typical 21:9 HD video using the 2:39:1 cinematic ratio would have the resolution of 1920x800. The black bars are then added automatically by the video player.

Jun 2, 2014 9:43 AM in response to moritzhberg

hello,

I have the above combo as well.

I configured the appleTV to always send 1920x1080 over the HDMI port to the LG ultrawide display then I switch the ratio using the ratio buton the remote between 1:1 for normal 16:9 content and select "Cinema1" if the content is ultrawide and then it fills the screen completely and looks great (you get black bars on all four sides as you described if you leave it on 1:1).

The scaling is very good and I hardly notice a drop in quality doing this. I don't think you can do 2560x1080 over HDMI versions before 2.0 or DVI, people have found ways to force it but you don't get the full 50/60Hz by doing this. If you don't trust the monitors scaling you can play the movie from a laptop with DisplayPort at 2560x1080 and use the scaling on the video application you're using - iTunes/VLC etc...

As far as I know neither the AppleTV or the UltraWide Monitor has a HDMI 2.0 port so you can't get that resolution anyway - but it really does not matter because the content is only 1920x800 so HDMI1.4 is perfectly capable of getting this content to the monitor and it's just a choice of whether you prefer the computers scaling or the monitors scaling.

Hope this helps!

Jonny

Jun 2, 2014 10:54 AM in response to moritzhberg

likely it will work as watching a non wide screen movie on a wide screen monitor

no tv streams just have extra unlimited media hiding on each side then they begin to display when a display happen to have a wide or tall enough resolution

if that was the case then all video streams would be unlimited in size as they should be carrying info for if somebody connected a

100000000000000*1080 display

Jun 5, 2014 3:39 PM in response to N3XTSTEP

Hi, thanks you for your information. When I view Netflix, for example (with the screen set to the "original" ratio), it looks like in the screenshot. Cinema 1 is essentially the screenshot streched to fill the top and bottom blacks, however, the side bars still remain. Any ideas? What I would ideally like to achieve, is to have the image zoomed in, so that all bars disappear. I have the LG EA93.

Thanks a lot for your help!

User uploaded file

Using Apple TV with an Ultra Wide Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.