Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dial up for MacBook Air

I purchashed an apple modem plug for the occasional times I only have dial-up connection when at my Dad's apartment. I found out yesterday, I was mislead, and that the MacBook Air does not have the capability of using dial-up internet services. Just wanted to confirm this is either negative or positive?

I tried having the dial-up company set me up, put my modem on, and the air message stated from Apple, this computer does not have the capability for a modem connection.

It would be nice if his assisted living residence had wi-fi for all us kids that visit their parents.

Elizabeth

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Dec 7, 2013 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2013 1:56 PM

As stated here, the Apple USB plug stopped working after Snow Leopard:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3152

Perhaps if your dad's apartment has an ethernet connection, you can use a USB to Ethernet (or Thunderbolt to Ethernet) adapter on your MacBook Air.

5 replies

Dec 7, 2013 3:00 PM in response to elizanh

Yes, I agree, carrying the capability to set up a WiFi Hotspot requires more than the minimum setup with a wireless carrier - it can be quite costly.

I hope the director accommodates your request. If not, there might be a nearby Starbuck's or McDonald's offering WiFi if that would work for you.

Good luck!

dial up for MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.