Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule with Dt. Telekom Entertain and Speedport Router

Hi

I have read quite a number of posts in various internet sources that using Apple Time Capsule with VDSL requires a specific setup, and possibly also additional hardware able to translate the VDSL specific channels in order to be able to use Dt Telekom Entertain (VOD and TV streaming).

My current setup is as follows (I have not tried any possible connections with the Time Capsule and the macbook pro as of yet, as I want to avoid frustration and spending lengthy time in sorting out options by trial and error):

Internet Provider: Dt. Telekom

Package: Entertain Premium IP with VDSL 50 and VOIP telephony

Router: Speedport W722V

Media Receiver: Entertain MR303

Currently the router is directly connecting (cable) to the landline (fibre) via a splitter

The MR303 is cable-connected (LAN/Ethernet), and I plan to maintain this cable connection, so no need for wifi'ing this connection

A variety of device is wirelessly connected to the router, such as game console, two iphones, two ipads, a TV, two windows laptops (which are soon to be thrown out, as we are swithcing from PC to macbook)

Thus far all good, my question(s):

Can anyone advise on the best possible options to setup my new TimeCapsule (latest model) as router, thus degrading the speedport router to a mere modem, and with best possible I am particularly interested in:

* Entertain (VOD and streaming) to work as smoothly as today (ie. no streaming lapses, outages etc)

* VOIP to still run as smoothly as today

* leveraging the benefit of WLAN speed and capability of the Time Capsule for all wirelessly connected devices

cheers

Joe

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 7, 2013 11:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2013 12:16 PM

It is not possible to have the TC control separate channels. You cannot bridge the current router if it has voip etc built in. As soon as you bridge it you remove its functionality.

There is nothing wrong with running the TC in bridge mode. Any connection made by wireless now can be made via the bridged TC.. you simply turn off existing wireless although even that is not necessary.. you can run roaming network so both devices are basically connecting to the same resource.

Can anyone advise on the best possible options to setup my new TimeCapsule (latest model) as router,

Why do you want the TC as router??

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2013 12:16 PM in response to joeG_de

It is not possible to have the TC control separate channels. You cannot bridge the current router if it has voip etc built in. As soon as you bridge it you remove its functionality.

There is nothing wrong with running the TC in bridge mode. Any connection made by wireless now can be made via the bridged TC.. you simply turn off existing wireless although even that is not necessary.. you can run roaming network so both devices are basically connecting to the same resource.

Can anyone advise on the best possible options to setup my new TimeCapsule (latest model) as router,

Dec 7, 2013 12:31 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for your swift reply LaPastenague,

few questions remain:

I understand from your reply that the TC needs to be setup in bridge mode, excuse my lack of knowledge, as I have not started to set the TC up as of yet (it sits in original packaging on the shelf until christmas as it is my christmas present... ), is this easy enough to do - ie. a find- and clickable option upon setup?

As regards roaming - where would I need to configure this? as far as I am aware I have not seen this option in my speedport, nor the network connections on my PC type notebooks.

as regards your question:

Soimply put: Because I understood it could act as one? And it promised at first sight to provide a more powerful WLAN connectivity as opposed to my current speedport, which runs n standard but not ac standard

thx

Dec 7, 2013 12:51 PM in response to joeG_de

is this easy enough to do - ie. a find- and clickable option upon setup?

As regards roaming - where would I need to configure this? as far as I am aware I have not seen this option in my speedport, nor the network connections on my PC type notebooks.

Bridge is best done manually.. if you use the v6 utility it has ability to automatically setup what it thinks is the best configuration but in reality is often not.. ie it will tend to not use bridge. So you simply click edit in the airport utility and go to the network tab. Bridge is a single option.

User uploaded file

Once configured in bridge the TC will do all the necessary changes. eg WAN port is transferred to LAN.. to make it as effective as possible in that mode. You set the wireless tab to still create a wireless network.

Roaming is purely a setup which you do yourself.

See the doco. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4260

It doesn't matter that you are not using two Apple routers.

It is simple setup... trivial even.

Set the wireless name in the TC to the same as the existing router's SSID

Set the security to the same level.. that should always be WPA2 AES now which apple calls WPA2 Personal.

Same password.

It is good but not required to separate the two devices by a couple of meters. Even using the TC in another room connected back by ethernet would be excellent.. but not at all required. Both devices having wireless for 2.4ghz set to auto is not the best.. I would manually set at least one..

The AC works only on 5ghz and is not going to be affected by the speedport at all.

Soimply put: Because I understood it could act as one? And it promised at first sight to provide a more powerful WLAN connectivity as opposed to my current speedport, which runs n standard but not ac standard

thx

The WLAN power is unaffected by using the TC in bridge or router mode.

You have multiple options.. as mentioned .. roaming is only one.. you can simply turn the wireless off on the speedport. Wireless is still active on the TC in bridge mode.

BUT you do lose one function.. that is guest wireless.. when you bridge the TC. If you would like to still have a guest wireless you can do that by using the speedport wireless with a different name to the TC.. ie you have exactly the same setup as guest wireless.. only instead of using a single wireless router you have two which is far superior.

Anything that doesn't make sense.. it is probably easier to figure out after Christmas and you can play with the real world device.. post again if you have issues and we are happy to offer solutions.

Merry Christmas.

Jan 10, 2014 3:08 AM in response to LaPastenague

BUT you do lose one function.. that is guest wireless.. when you bridge the TC. If you would like to still have a guest wireless you can do that by using the speedport wireless with a different name to the TC.. ie you have exactly the same setup as guest wireless.. only instead of using a single wireless router you have two which is far superior.

Anything that doesn't make sense.. it is probably easier to figure out after Christmas and you can play with the real world device.. post again if you have issues and we are happy to offer solutions.

Merry Christmas.

Hi LaPastenague

thanks again for your support on this matter, I have setup the TC in bridge mode as suggested and it works a treat. In the mean time I have replaced my old router (Speedport W722V) with a newer model allowing for Gigabit Ethernet connection which now enables far superior throughput, so I make the best possible use of my network.

I would like to get back to your suggestion now using my new Speedport router as Guest wireless Access Point and the TC as my home network access point. Is it as simple as configuring the speedport with different ssid / wpa2 credentials while maintaing the bridge connection I have successfully established or do I need to change the config from bridge to another mode?

Thnaks again for your assistance!

cheers

Joe

Jan 10, 2014 4:06 AM in response to joeG_de

You will still keep the TC in the same bridge setup you did have.

You will give the speedport a different name and password for guests..

But here is the key security bit.. The speedport must offer the ability to isolate wireless clients.

This is called different names in different routers.. And actually a decent router will even offer guest network.. so if you check the speedport it might even offer guest wireless access.

This will be isolated by default.. what that means is the wireless guest client has internet access but no LAN access.. you do not want guests generally accessing your LAN resources just internet.

Even the main wireless will usually have isolate on it.

You will need to read the manual very carefully to find it as the terminology in German is probably very different.

Jan 10, 2014 4:31 AM in response to LaPastenague

thanks!

it seems (need to check this more thoroughly though) that the speedport w921v does not allow for built-in guest wlan, but the TC does :-) I have just successfully configured guest access on the TC using different ssid and wpa2, I assume this has done the trick, or is this guest wlan i have just created able to access my lan now?

thanks.

Jan 10, 2014 1:51 PM in response to joeG_de

That will only work if the TC is in full router mode.. and you will be back to your old issue of double NAT.

Sorry it looks like it will work with the TC in bridge.. actually it doesn't. Tricked me the first time through.

Use the wireless in the Speedport.. even if it is not isolated simply do not share password access to resources on your LAN.. eg.. put a decent disk password on the TC.. then the guests even if they have LAN access still cannot access files on your TC because you haven't given the password.

The right way to do it is isolate the wireless but as long as shared network resources are protected you are still safe.

Time Capsule with Dt. Telekom Entertain and Speedport Router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.