Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 17"- Grey. Screen after login

When I boot my MacBook Pro I can login in but after that I just get a grey screen. I reset PRAM 'cud option P R ' but that didn't work. I started in safe mode. That didn't, work. I then started in single user mode and ran flick -fy. This fixed a couple of issues but on reboot the same problem occurred. I am stuck any ideas? I also disconnected all physical devices I.e Ethernet cable. No luck

MacBook Pro 17", Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Dec 7, 2013 12:32 PM

9 replies

Dec 7, 2013 2:04 PM in response to leroydouglas

That didn't really help.

I subsequently tried cmd option and R. This started to do something and this once, whatever it was downloading finished the system tried to reboot but I got a grey screen again.

So I figured if I could get into single user mode maybe I can backup my files. So I though I hooked up an external drive, started in single user and tired to mount the drive. This failed but I ran the mount - uw command followed by the ls /Volumes. It didn't look at if it did anything, the responses where what I would expect. So then I exited rather than run the reboot command and low and behold the system started up.

Now I am scared to shut it down.

Dec 7, 2013 2:51 PM in response to conanmde

Try to boot into recovery mode. Turn ur computer of and turn it on while holding command r. Be sure you have internet access just in case the restore utility is corrupted and needs to be re-installed. Try to reinstall osx first. If this fails open the disk utility and try to repair ur hard drive. If this fails you also have the option of reformatting it. If you reformat be sure to reinstall osx for for free using the restore function before you restart. If you use SSD ur drive may have gone bad. If so you can take ur computer to the apple store and get a free diagnostic. Good luck!

Dec 8, 2013 3:28 AM in response to Eamon N.

When I use cmd R I get a blue screen with black vertical lines. Cmd option/R takes me to Internet recovery and I get to the stage when it prompts me for the installation disc. But then I get a black screen.

So I reset PRAM, booted in single mode, fsck -uv, then I can boot again.

Will attempt later to try the re-install again

Dec 8, 2013 3:34 PM in response to Eamon N.

Well I have got further now.

Cmd Opt/R got be to the option to re-install the O/S. However I upgraded to mavericks but it asked me to re-install Lion.

So rather than opt for that I tried the Disk Utility. The first thing that I noticed is that the Macintosh HD is greyed out. However Disk Utility can access the drive which is APPLE SSD TS512C Media. When I run a verify Disk or repair Disk I get an error "Problems were encountered during repair of the partition map. Error: Storage System verify or repair failed".

I then went into terminal and ran verifyvolume but the system indicated that I don't have permission.

So a coupel of questions

1. How can I repair / modify a partition

2. How can I re-install Mavericks as opposed to Lion

Kinds Regards

Dec 8, 2013 8:06 PM in response to conanmde

1) Use the restore function then go to the disk utility. Chose your hard drive. Then at the top you will see partition. To repair choose first aid then press verify or repair.

2) To reinstall Mavericks go to the internet restore function and go to reinstall OSX. After you get your computer up and running again you can upgrade to Mavericks

PS: If you used Boot Camp this applies to you:

You can not modify/repair partitions that were created by Boot Camp.

Ignore this if you don't use Boot Camp.

Dec 8, 2013 8:32 PM in response to Eamon N.

If you cannot repair your disk you should try to salvage all the data you have on it the reformat using the erase feature from the disk utility in the internet restore function. After you reformat, reinstall OSX using the online recovery function. If you have your data backed up or you don't need what is in your computer, you are good to go! If not, take your computer to the Apple Store or a third party retailer and try to get them to repair the disk or save your data. Good luck!

Dec 9, 2013 4:29 AM in response to Eamon N.

I took your suggestion of using Disk Utility from the restore function. The situation remained the same but then I went into the Terminal option, still within the restore function.

I ran both

fsck

mount -uw

Then I closed down the restore function and I was asked which disk to load from. Selected it but then the system had to unlock the drive since it was ecrypted. Once done the system reloaded.

Immeditaely after the system loaded, I went into Disk Utility again. This time the Macintosh HD was not greyed out so I repaired permissions, verified the volume and then at the high level I did a repair disk. This time it worked and I got no errors.

Subsequently I have re-booted 4 times so far and every time it has started back. So I think the problem is resolved.

MacBook Pro 17"- Grey. Screen after login

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.