Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder window size is not remembered after restart

After restarting my computer, I can resize and position a Finder window, close it, then reopen it and it will appear as I set it up. If I restart my computer, the first Finder window I open will be back to a default size and position. Is there a way to set a Finder window's size and position permanently?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 7, 2013 3:36 PM

2 replies

Mar 17, 2014 2:02 PM in response to Steve Dutton

If there's a way, I'd love to know, too. But I take it there's not, since no one has responded.

Whenever I open Finder (clicking on the icon in the dock) after relaunch or reboot, the window is tiny. It never remembers the size I had been using. I have to resize it, including the column widths and sidebar width, every single time. VERY annoying. This never happened pre-Mavericks. Previously, Finder kept these preferences, and used them every time you opened a new window, even after relaunch/reboot.

I tried a solution someone posted in another thread (deleting finder plist, etc.), but it didn't work. Perhaps it works with previous OS versions, but not Mavericks.

I strongly suggest everyone who is annoyed with this to submit feedback to Apple:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Hopefully if enough of us complain, they'll finally fix this bug.

Finder window size is not remembered after restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.