Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

bootable USB 3 external drive for new iMac

I'm having no luck trying to create a bootable USB 3 external drive for new iMac (27", i5, 1tb, Mountain Lion). I've tried with a LaCie and Toshiba (both powered externally/not usb). In both cases, I've cloned the internal drive (with both Disk Utility and Super Duper) and tried direct installation via recover disk. In both cases, the drive will appear as an option as a startup disk in System Preferences or if I start up while holding the option key. But when I try to actually boot, it hangs with a white screen (no system loading).

I've researched a lot and it appears there are issues with a number of newer Macs and USB 3. I'm going to add Time Machine, but I firmly believe in a bootable external backup as a primary parachutte in case if drive failure. I've done so for years with Firewire (400 and 800), and even USB 2. In fact, for grins I cloned a copy of Mountain Lion on an old USB 2 drive and that worked fine on the new iMac. But the much touted USB 3 does not work.

Any info appreciated!

Dale

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), 2013, 3.4 mhz i5, 1tb hard drive

Posted on Dec 7, 2013 4:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2013 5:08 PM

You are best in making a HD boot clone, very good idea, ....unless someone jumps into to correct me on same, Mavericks current build is not externally bootable on your newest Mac.

This was an occurrence with the newest Macbook Air for a few months until a new ML build came out. However I will not speculate if or when in this instance of yours.

USB 3 or 2 should have nothing to do with this.

If superduper verified your clone and the HD itself is fine, you can trust same, but as for being externally bootable, that may very have to wait until a Mavericks build change, however when that is...........

30 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2013 5:08 PM in response to Dale Garrison

You are best in making a HD boot clone, very good idea, ....unless someone jumps into to correct me on same, Mavericks current build is not externally bootable on your newest Mac.

This was an occurrence with the newest Macbook Air for a few months until a new ML build came out. However I will not speculate if or when in this instance of yours.

USB 3 or 2 should have nothing to do with this.

If superduper verified your clone and the HD itself is fine, you can trust same, but as for being externally bootable, that may very have to wait until a Mavericks build change, however when that is...........

Dec 13, 2013 8:18 AM in response to Dale Garrison

Epilogue: This has proven to be one of the most interesting and somewhat disapointing things I've run into on a new Mac. However, the easy and effective solution is to simply buy Apple's $29 Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter which works like a charm. So far, I've been able to clone a Firewire drive and boot with it, as well as use the new iMac in Target Disk Mode while attached to my older (2009) iMac.

The apparent lack of bootability with USB 3 drives is dissapointing. Several support people suggested using a USB 2 cable. I've not tried that yet, but I suspect it will work since I was able to clone and boot from an older USB 2 drive.

I post all this in the hopes it helps someone.

Dec 14, 2013 5:50 AM in response to Dale Garrison

Almost every new OS, from Panther to Tiger to Snow Leopard and Leopard has caused troubles for some users and some external drive enclosures, such as the issue now with WD's enclosure and their software.

Back in SL 10.6.0 some could no longer use Firewire but USB worked, or the reverse.

In fact how you make a Mavericks flash drive installer disk changed, and that is something you want to have and keep on hand.

How to make your own bootable OS X 10.9 Mavericks USB install drive

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/10/how-to-make-your-own-bootable-os-x-10-9-mav ericks-usb-install-drive/

Apple has changed things in 10.9, but making a recovery drive is still possible.

Jan 13, 2014 1:07 PM in response to LowLuster

Has this been fixed yet? I paid 3k for my i7 3.5 27" with all the bells and whistles and I'm completely disappointed that my cloned hard drive won't boot from my 3tb USB 3.0 WD drive. I tried everything multiple programs zeroing out and nothing has worked. It mounts fine, can switch it to the start up drive. I can even hold down option key and see both drives and two recovery partitions. I can only boot from the internal drive, selecting the external drive just hangs. No loading or even attempted loading. no circle either showing it's loading, just a white screen that hangs for 5 mins then defaults back to my internal drive.

I'm really surprised this hasn't been fixed in mavericks, come on apple! I paid top dollar for my computer fix this big already!

Jan 13, 2014 1:27 PM in response to mat82284

Mat82284,

The best info I have is that USB 3 may simply not work for bootable drives! I've seen references to some hard drive models working and particular chips not working, etc., but I had no luck with the two I tried.

Some will apparently boot (I only tried 1) when using a USB 2 cable, but that makes buying USB 3 drives something of a pointless exercise for bootability.

One option would be to backup/clone using the faster USB3 then fall back to USB 2 for an emergency boot.

I instead went back to my firewire 800 drives and bought a $29 Thunderbolt/Firewire converter cable which works quite well. Probably not as fast as USB3 but close enough for me. I also have created some USB boot thumb drives for emergencies.

For my multiple clone backup system, one of the best solutions I've found is a NewerTech Voyager (OWC, Amazon) which takes 2.5 or 3.5" internal drives and essentially turns them into floppy disks. The higher priced Voyager has USB3 and Firewire 800 ports, which makes a good combo for me.

But yes, the USB 3 boot issue is very frustrating, especially with the vagueness and confusion I've encountered.

Jan 17, 2014 10:54 PM in response to Dale Garrison

I'm not but could be the person with the top of the line iMac.

It would be good have a fix or clarification from Apple. I would not have bought a computer with a 3TB internal drive that could not be cloned to a USB3 drive. USB2 is just too slow and Thunderbolt far too expensive; I bought a new 4TB USB drive for cloning the internal drive.

Mar 14, 2014 2:17 PM in response to Dale Garrison

I have just done extensive tests and now have absolutely clear results.

Most recent Macs have USB3 ports, and USB3 is fully supported in Mac OS, but the boot ROM of some of those Macs (including my Macbook Pro mid 2012) does NOT support USB3. At least one person above has apparently been able to boot via USB3, so this limitation must not be in all models.

So you can use USB3 to clone your internal drive, and for Time Machine backups (If you use the paid version of Super Duper, you can store both on the same drive). But when you want to boot from the clone you have made, you need to connect the drive as a USB2 drive either by connecting it through a USB2 hub or by using a USB2 cable. (For typical USB3 portable drives you probably need a Micro USB2 cable, like many android phones use, to connect without a hub).

If you are like me, you update your external drive much more often than you boot from it. So USB3 does give a significant speed advantage.

I have reported this to Apple but so far Apple has not said whether or not they intend to add USB3 support to the boot ROMs that do not now have it. If enough people complain, maybe they will fix it.

Mar 14, 2014 3:01 PM in response to Al Q

I have several large Seagate USB 3 drive that have been cloned with Superduper from a new 27" iMac. They will not boot the iMac without using a USB2 cable or hub. I purchased a Seagate Thunderbolt drive that boot as it should. I took the iMac and the TB drive to the genius bar for another issue and explained why I bought the drive. The Genus said they boot customer's computers from USB drives all day long. He did it on my computer. I forgot to ask the drive's brand.

I trust you have a clone on a secondrive so that when that drive crashes there will still be a good backup.

Mar 14, 2014 3:46 PM in response to panoramaBobl, Bob Thompson2

Bob, I'm from Missouri so you'll have to show me. I'll need the USB 3 drive brand and model in order to believe that. If Apple really has a USB 3 that will boot a contemporary Mac, they need to let people know. I've researched a lot of forums on this and while there's always someone who "saw" this done they never seem to be able to provide specifics.

Mar 14, 2014 3:52 PM in response to panoramaBobl, Bob Thompson2

They are probably using USB 2 external drives. They will work All Day Long.

Take it back to the store with your USB3 drives and ask them to boot your iMac from either of them. Then ask them to fix the issue.

panoramaBobl, Bob Thompson2 wrote:

I have several large Seagate USB 3 drive that have been cloned with Superduper from a new 27" iMac. They will not boot the iMac without using a USB2 cable or hub. I purchased a Seagate Thunderbolt drive that boot as it should. I took the iMac and the TB drive to the genius bar for another issue and explained why I bought the drive. The Genus said they boot customer's computers from USB drives all day long. He did it on my computer. I forgot to ask the drive's brand.

I trust you have a clone on a secondrive so that when that drive crashes there will still be a good backup.

bootable USB 3 external drive for new iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.