Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2013 MacBook Air 13" - LCD Cracked by Itself?

Hi Guys,

I'm very distraught. College student who bought the new MacBook Air about a week after it came out (this past summer) and I have a huge problem. I was watching college basketball on it yesterday and then looked down to send a text and after I looked back up, I noticed an issue with the screen where it is a large white blotch and pixelated lines running down the screen. Tried restarting and no change. Took it into the Apple store and they told me it was a cracked LCD and would cost about $450 or something to replace. Of course this computer is covered under the one year warranty, but they won't cover this because they're saying it's MY fault!

I baby this thing, literally put it in a neoprene case when I bring it downstairs in my own home. I have never had an issues with it, never tossed it around, dropped it, etc. When they examined it (3 people did) not a single person could find any signs of stress (cracks, dents, bends, etc.) They kept telling me it was "excess pressure". I told them it was impossible, it would be normal pressure if anything and therefore must be a manufacturer's problem with the part. I wasn't even touching it when it broke/cracked! This is normal wear and tear, and in fact, I would say it was BETTER than normal usage in how much I care for this thing. Anyways, they opened a case for me with Apple Care but I don't have much faith they will handle it without trying to hose me.

So I'm wondering, has this ever happened to anyone? Had your LCD crack without a single idea of how it happened? Trying to see if maybe this is a common problem 😟

Thanks for reading!

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 7, 2013 5:37 PM

9 replies

Dec 7, 2013 5:52 PM in response to EF14

What about the backpack? Did you have it in one often?

College and notebooks = backpacks usually 9 times out of 10, was that the case?

😊

Your MacBook Air doesnt like roommates in your backpack

Many collects students or people in general are fond of using non-idealized backpacks (without a padded laptop compartment) along with their books. Sandwiching books around your notebook etc. is an extremely bad idea and can leads to your LCD screen being destroyed when heavy textbooks are pressing against same, or when dropping your backpack, these books slam into your Macbook causing great potential for damage.

~"large white blotch and pixilated lines running down the screen."

That indicates a significant impact.

~~"They kept telling me it was "excess pressure". I told them it was impossible, it would be normal pressure"

What do you mean by "normal pressure" ANY pressure to the LCD is abnormal pressure.

Dec 7, 2013 5:55 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

Backpack? No, I keep it in a Neoprene case and i hold it in my hands. I literally won't even put it in my backpack with binders/textbooks/etc. I trust my own hands more than a backpack with other stuff in it. And I've never dropped it or placed it down hard. I rarely ever move it, honestly. I don't bring it to class with me, just keep it on my desk at home. This is the most expensive thing I own (besides a car) and I treat it as such. Also, this issue happened AS I was using it while watching TV on it. Not even touching it.

Found this discussion post below and it seemed eerily similar so I'm hoping other people have had this issue. I know I'm not crazy here!!

From 2006: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/715497?answerId=3633846022#3633846022

EDIT - Size of the blotch was about the size of 1"x1" and didn't have any lines. I touched the screen to see if it was a physical problem and that's when it spread.

To answer about pressure, I meant normal pressure as in the opening and closing of the screen, the moving it on my desk, etc. Not like I'm picking it up by the screen or something like that. Just the standard pressure when you would operate a laptop.

Dec 7, 2013 6:24 PM in response to PlotinusVeritas

I open the screen where you're supposed to, at that little notch part by the trackpad. The location of the damage was about 2" away from that to the right. It is near the edge but wasn't touching it at first.

I appreciate you asking me these questions, but I can assure you that the way I treat my MacBook is the exact way you're supposed to treat it (if not better). What I'm simply wondering is if this has happened to anyone else in the freak manner that I explained (and like the guy from the thread from 2006 that I posted). I'm trying to see if maybe there is a manufacturing/part problem here that will give me some help when I speak with AppleCare on Monday. If I knew what caused the issue, I would have owned up and would not have tried to con the Apple store into a new display by feigning innoncence. Since I'm genuinely at loss with this issue, I'm searing for others with the same problem.

Thanks for you help though!

Oct 25, 2016 9:41 AM in response to EF14

MUST READ BEFORE BUYING APPLE MACBOOK

I have a 12inch macbook (early 2016) model and i am facing issues with the display. There is one thin white line appeared on its own while i was working on it from nowhere. My macbook is just 3 months old and under apple warranty . There are no signs of impact due to drop and is as brand new as it was on the day when I purchased it . I havent put any pressure and was handling with care as its an expensive machine and I expect it to be sturdy due to its aluminium frame .The day when it happened i contacted apple service centre through phone and the exact lines they said was 'sir this problem is coming with some macbook and if there is no sign of any *impact due to drop* then they will be happy to replace it for free under warranty.' The next day i went to the service centre located in bangalore (india) they refused to cover it under warranty as it was a physical damage but they couldn't find any signs of impact due to drop which could have proved that its done by the customer so i contacted apple support india and apple support people talked to the service centre technician over there. I told apple support that 2 days before my macbook was getting overheated and i was getting message to turn off my macbook so i did that and after 2 days i saw that thin line. He told me not to worry and gave me assurance that they will help me out. They told me to give my macbook for diagnostic tests and after that they will be able to tell . After 3-4 days i got mail from service centre to pay rs 48000 for screen replacement . I contacted service centre so they said that they didnt got any reply from apple support india thats y they have sent the mail. Next 7-8 days i didnt get any proper answer from apple support india and after almost 10 days they told me that they cant cover under warranty and they are sorry if any official apple person said that your macbook can be replaced because this problem is coming in macbook so i went to the apple authorised retail store and apple people over there and manager said that we have got many customers with the exact same problem and many customers got their macbook replaced . One of my friends cousin who works for apple hardware team said that they should replace it under warranty after seeing the pictures of it. Many people from official apple said that its not my fault and on internet some of them have the same issue. Apple is saying its not a customer fault but according to terms and condition this cant be covered under warranty. I just wanted to know that if its not a customer fault then why should he pay ?

Technically i have told them that if its done due to pressure then case must be different and they agreed.

I have and ipad , iphone and many apple products and i know how sturdy their designs are but if apple are not producing such kind of machine which are getting defects due to normal use then i wont even recommend to anyone of my friends. Apple should write in terms and conditions how to handle it as if you even hold with proper care u can break it. Many people are facing same problem and if this is not on a big scale so apple is not considering it. I have talked to 3-4 senior advisor and nothing has happened and its almost 1 month. I am regretting for my decision to buy apple laptop . 2 days before i have contacted one apple senior advisor and he understood my concern after seeing the images sent by me and told me that their manager will contact me as this is a special case. I didn't receive any call maybe due to weekend and i am hoping he can resolve my problem otherwise i will share this message on social media and everywhere and tell people not to buy apple laptop ever due to the poor service and harassing customer. I am very sad as its almost one month and i didnt got any help from apple.

If the laptop is so sensitive to even hold and crack lcd then i think people should never consider apple products in future and if i didnt get any help from apple i will definitely spread this issue on social media and recommend people to buy other brand over apple

Aniket aggarwal

Case id - **********

Serial number -C0******THT

Raf number - *******

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

2013 MacBook Air 13" - LCD Cracked by Itself?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.