Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fan noise - really loud - HELP

Hi, everyone!

I have a MacBook Pro 13'' from mid 2010, with OS X Maverick installed.

Recently, my mac started to make an annoying noise from the fan...

Check the noise in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWDuecRdn7I

I've tried to clean the fan, but i don't have the Torx Screwdriver to open it completly...

But I really don't know if this noise comes from the fan because it's dirty or because something else...

I really like to solve this problem, cause sometimes it gets really loud, and i can't even concentrate on my work...

My computer is really nice, 0 problems untill this time...

Best regards,

Pedro Couto

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Dec 7, 2013 6:59 PM

2 replies

Dec 7, 2013 7:16 PM in response to pedro18

Yes, your fan assy. is about to fail to be certian

Dust bunnies

Your Macbook’s cooling system, including fan and rear vents pull cool air in from the back and (in the case of the Macbook pro) also from the left ports bringing this air around the processor, GPU, and heat sync and blow it out the back, as such your Macbook acts like a little vacuum cleaner of the air around you. If you use your notebook in a dusty area or around a lot of pet fur, this can quickly, even under seemingly ideal clean rooms, accumulate inside your notebook especially on the fan blades reducing its capacity for cooling and in a worse case scenario seize your fan due to caked on dust on the fan blades. Avoid very dusty areas or places where, over the long term you know fuzz, fur, or even smoke can enter into your Macbook.

Is it making a buzzing or scraping noise?

If you only hear it in a quiet room, that is normal.

noisy fan reasons:

A: you notice it more in a quiet room (the typical case) which is normal, all is AOK

B: fuzz and dust has caked onto the blades causing the fan hub to get off balance and make a buzzing sound.

C: fan rotor is going bad and making a whirring or buzz noise (rare).

D: Fan is spinning up due to excess heat from gaming, heavy graphics (typical, all is OK)

A and D are normal

B and C are not.

Do you use it in a dusty area or where there is a lot of pet fuzz? Laptop fans act like little vacuum cleaners and take in dust etc. from the ambient air around them.

If B and C continue for a long time (B is just a cleaning), they eventually cause the fan to either seize and/or die.

Contact Apple for a new fan assy. 😊

Fan noise - really loud - HELP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.