Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Syncing from ipad2 iphoto to imac iphoto

I recently travelled overseas and used my dslr camera to take photos, my ipad2 + iphoto to upload all photos (a back up). I also used the images on the ipad to then edit, add location data, create albums and journals. I now have a full 64gb ipad to upload to my mac. I want to get all my trip photos from the ipad to the mac.

I have read conflicting reports about the ease and success of syncing as you would normally do to upload the photos to the mac via itunes.

I am looking for advice about:-

* The best way to upload the upload so that all the photos that are now in the ipad iphoto app, would result in syncing to the mac iphoto and include all edited photos, retaining the edits and the album and location data;

* is there any way to save the journals to the mac or do they have to stay in the icloud? I have read not. If not, if I sync the photos to my mac, and delete the photos off the ipad, will the journals and their connections to the journals be retained in the icloud?

* i also created a slideshow in iphoto on the ipad will that sync Ok with the mac iphoto?

Hoping you can help and save me having a disaster! All comments and advice much appreciated.

Regards

Veronica

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Dec 7, 2013 9:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2013 10:54 PM

Veronica, what is your versions of iPhoto on your mac, and what have you used on your iPad to organize your photos? iPhoto or the Photos.app? Is it IOS 7 or 6?

Since you create Journals, I assume you used iPhoto on your iPad to create the Journals, but what kind of albums do you have? Photos.app albums or iPhoto albums created by tagging the photos?

* The best way to upload the upload so that all the photos that are now in the ipad iphoto app, would result in syncing to the mac iphoto and include all edited photos, retaining the edits and the album and location data;

This will be difficult - you can sync albums and events from the mac to the iPad, but there is no easy way to sync from the iPad to the Mac.

• You can transfer the contents of the camera roll to your Mac, as you probably know; simply connect the iPad via USB and import the camera roll to iPhoto on your Mac.
    • To transfer all edits, share all edited photos to the camera roll, before you download the photos to your mac.
    • Any custom tags you added in iPhoto on your iPad will be visible as keywords in iPhoto and the Photo Title you set on the iPad will appear in the description field in the information panel. The GPS loaction data will also be transferred. I tested this with IOS 7 and iPhoto 2, it may be different for earlier versions.
    • To preserve your iPad albums, you might consider to add different iPhoto tags to the photos in each album and use them to sort your photos again into albums on your mac.
  • Jounals cannot be saved to your mac as journals - you have to keep them on your iPad. http://support.apple.com/kb/PH3156
    • One problem is, that only the device you used to create the journal can be used to edit or delete the journal. If you delete it from the iPad, you will never again be able to remove it from iCloud or to edit it.
    • You can view your published web journals on any devices that are connected to the Internet and set up to work with iCloud. You can edit a web journal only with the device you used to create it. For example, if you create a journal on your iPhone and publish to iCloud, you can view your journal in iPhoto on your iPad, but you can change the journal only using your iPhone.
    • However, you can save your Journal as a webpage to your Mac and then continue to maintain it using a web editor: See: export your web journal to iTunes

Regards

Léonie

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2013 10:54 PM in response to rayver

Veronica, what is your versions of iPhoto on your mac, and what have you used on your iPad to organize your photos? iPhoto or the Photos.app? Is it IOS 7 or 6?

Since you create Journals, I assume you used iPhoto on your iPad to create the Journals, but what kind of albums do you have? Photos.app albums or iPhoto albums created by tagging the photos?

This will be difficult - you can sync albums and events from the mac to the iPad, but there is no easy way to sync from the iPad to the Mac.

• You can transfer the contents of the camera roll to your Mac, as you probably know; simply connect the iPad via USB and import the camera roll to iPhoto on your Mac.
    • To transfer all edits, share all edited photos to the camera roll, before you download the photos to your mac.
    • Any custom tags you added in iPhoto on your iPad will be visible as keywords in iPhoto and the Photo Title you set on the iPad will appear in the description field in the information panel. The GPS loaction data will also be transferred. I tested this with IOS 7 and iPhoto 2, it may be different for earlier versions.
    • To preserve your iPad albums, you might consider to add different iPhoto tags to the photos in each album and use them to sort your photos again into albums on your mac.
  • Jounals cannot be saved to your mac as journals - you have to keep them on your iPad. http://support.apple.com/kb/PH3156
    • One problem is, that only the device you used to create the journal can be used to edit or delete the journal. If you delete it from the iPad, you will never again be able to remove it from iCloud or to edit it.
    • You can view your published web journals on any devices that are connected to the Internet and set up to work with iCloud. You can edit a web journal only with the device you used to create it. For example, if you create a journal on your iPhone and publish to iCloud, you can view your journal in iPhoto on your iPad, but you can change the journal only using your iPhone.
    • However, you can save your Journal as a webpage to your Mac and then continue to maintain it using a web editor: See: export your web journal to iTunes

Regards

Léonie

Dec 8, 2013 12:42 AM in response to léonie

I think I started out with IOS 6 on the ipad but I did convert to ios 7 whilst I was away. I am talking about iPhoto not the photo app.

I am running 10.8.5 on iPhoto on the mac.

I'm not sure how to answer your album question. I created albums in the photo app, then when I opened iphoto the albums copied across. I am wanting to keep the iphoto album data as these are the ones I edited and upload to journals etc.

I will try your tagging ideas.

Regarding the journals. I probably don't want to edit them again, just want to save them as a historical record. I'll have a look at the article you sent about exporting it as a webpage.

Dec 8, 2013 10:25 AM in response to rayver

ALl my journals are already in the icloud. Does this mean I can delete everything on the ipad to free up space, then if by chance I wanted to edit the journal I would just have to do it on the ipad, but could use the file that is saved to the icloud?

You have published your journals on the web by sharing it to iCloud, right? Then you have a webpage in iCloud, but not the journal itself. If you delete the journal from your iPad, it will be gone for good. And if you do not unpublish it from iCloud, before you delete it from the iPad, you can never edit what is stored in iCloud, because the connection will be lost. So I'd keep the journals on the iPad, as long as you want to have them published in iCloud.

Dec 8, 2013 11:18 PM in response to rayver

Have you conneced your iPad to a Mac and looked in iTunes on your Mac, as described in the document I linked to?

Save photos to your computer using iTunes

1. Connect your iOS device to your computer.
  2. Tap a photo, album, event, web journal, or slideshow and tap User uploaded file > iTunes.
  3. Tap Selected, or change the photos you want to save (if you are saving a slideshow skip to step 4):
    • Select different photos: Tap Choose Photos, tap one or more photos, and tap Next.
    • Select a range of photos: Tap Choose Photos, tap Range, tap the first and last photos in the range, and tap Next.
    • Select all the photos in an album or event: Tap All.
  4. In iTunes, click the button for your device User uploaded file and click Apps at the top of the window.
  5. Below File Sharing, select iPhoto (in Apps).
  6. Select the Shared Photos folder under iPhoto Documents.
  7. Click Save To and select the location on your computer where you want to save the items.
  8. To view your photos, go to the Finder and look in the location you selected above.

You have to select the iPad in the sidebar, look at the "Apps" tab, and scroll down all the way to the synced documents in the "File Sharing" section.

Dec 9, 2013 9:57 AM in response to rayver

Sorry, one more question. Can I now save the .html back to icloud so others can view it? and are all the photos now saved in this folder necessary? Isn't this a duplication of the photos?

No, you cannot save the html documents back to iCloud as a web page. When you save them to your Mac and want to publish them online, upload them to an FTP site, for example the online storage your internet provider is offering to you. Use an application like CyberDuck to upload the files. If you want to publish the journal again you need to keep the photos in the folder - the html documents are linking to them.

Dec 9, 2013 10:03 AM in response to léonie

I'm having trouble saving the edited photos back to the camera roll due to storage issues. Iphoto keeps falling over. Can I delete the journals, without affecting the phootos, after I have saved them through itunes?

Deleting the journas will not free much space. They are only linking to the edited photos stored elsewhere.

How about freeing space in your Camera Roll by importing first many of the current contents of your Camera Roll to iPhoto on your mac and then deleting the imported photos from your iPad. You can sync back later the photos that you want to keep on the iPad.

That will give you space to save your edited photos to the camera roll.

Dec 9, 2013 1:33 PM in response to léonie

Thanks again for all your help Leonie. I've been testing transferring small albums to start with. I have 4428 photos on the ipad I am dealing with!! Finally managed to transfer 10 edited photos across to camera roll to start playing.

Album 1: I had tagged the photos with the album name in iphoto (32). I only transferred 10 edited ones to camera roll. They duplicated as expected so deleted dupes on ipad (unedited copies). Synced to the mac and selected the 32 from ipad. Saved as event on mac. Only tagged album name came over for the 10 edited photos. Favourites and flags from iphoto didn't come across.

Album 2: This time in iphoto I tagged all the edited photos and tagged the album (this has to be done one by one, even though you can select the group ie 14 edited, or all album etc). Surely there is a better way?? Copied the whole album across to camera roll. Deleted one by one (again) the old images, then synced to the mac. This time all edits came across plus captions (from journals). So, I may have lost some captions in Album 1 if a photo with a caption hadn't been edited. To get iall the info I want across I think I have to tag all my faves and flags one by one as well!!

I had hoped by tagging my faves and flags in iphoto as I went I would be saved this after work. Silly me.

I suppose next trip as a better workaround I should:-

1. Do edits, faves and flags in iphoto on the ipad and tag each album/event as I go (this will be still laborious selecting images one by one but at least it will be in smaller chunks)

2. Copy the whole iphoto album to the camera roll and save as a new album

3. Delete all the original images on the camera roll for the same album

4. Then syncing to mac would be easier and just from camera roll

Would that work?

Syncing from ipad2 iphoto to imac iphoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.