Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have several email addresses. A couple gmail ones and cloud one. a few weeks ago the system on my Mac ( mt Lion) started forcing almost all my email to be sent from a wrong email address…even though I select the proper one. It is a headache. any hints?

Mac email system messed up lately.

I for sure select the proper outgoing email address but it gets to friends and is the wrong one....

If i send while on a different box...a fresh email...i sometimes goes ok.

I realize I can not even explain what is happening correctly. Most frustrating.

Hard to even diagnos.

I have screen shots etc

Even hard to reproduce the prob.

All I know is many people reply back and it comes to my "wrong address" ...AND NOT TO THE ONE I THOUGHT I CAREFULLY SENT THE ORIGINAL FROM.

This happens some with sending a link, page from with in safari. weeks ago it always went from proper default email address but now....

I am sorta giving up...

help hint would be nice

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Dec 7, 2013 10:40 PM

2 replies

Mar 14, 2014 7:58 AM in response to borg22222

My email is doing the same thing. I send from the proper (default) address, but replies are going to a different one. In the thread, I can see it sent from the default, but the replies are sent back to me to a different account that the other person doesn't even have the address to! It's happening with one account in particular between my default, personal account and my work account. Both are gmail accounts.

It's very frustrating and I worry it's messing up the other person's contact info for me. It's been doing this the last few months, around the time I upgraded to Mavericks, I think.

Mar 14, 2014 6:24 PM in response to borg22222

It's possible that you have a problem with some outgoing servers and it's just moving through the list until it finds a working one. It will do this if you not have specific SMTP servers locked to each account?

Open Mail's preferences. Select an account and make sure it has the correct SMTP server listed. Also check the login and password for it to make sure it's correct. Check the box to use only that server for that account. Repeat this for all accounts making sure the server login and information are correct.

If an outgoing server fails in the future, you will ger a failure window asking to select another server or try again with the one chosen for that account.

You can also open connection doctor from Mail's main menu (under Window) and run the test. You should have incoming and outgoing servers listed for each account. It will tell you which are working and which aren't. You may also have intermittent failures. Run the test several times.

If this doesn't work, post back more info.

I have several email addresses. A couple gmail ones and cloud one. a few weeks ago the system on my Mac ( mt Lion) started forcing almost all my email to be sent from a wrong email address…even though I select the proper one. It is a headache. any hints?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.