Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac G3's case is yellowed.

I've had my Lime model M4984 iMac G3 for a while now and over the time I've had it the white/clear oart of the case has yellowed a lot. Is there any type of liquid or anything to get rid of it? Thanks in advance!

iMac, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier, PowerPC G3, Lime, Tray Loading DD

Posted on Dec 7, 2013 11:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 12:48 AM

If the yellowing/discoloration is on the inside of the plastic, it may have been caused by normal heat during operation. There's not really anything you can do for that. If it's on the outside, it could have been caused by exposure to the room's ambient light source (fluorescent?) or - if it sat near a window - it could be the result of continued exposure to ultraviolet light. Polishes for plastics have been available for years, and were often carried by audio/stereo retailers. They were used to remove fine scratches from the clear plastic cover over turntables. While they might restore the fading lustre of the iMac's housing, removing the yellowing may not be possible at this point. There are a few automotive detailing products designed to restore plastics that have yellowed or acquired a haze, from constant exposure to ultraviolet light. The large lens over the headlamps is a typical candidate for the product. Because these products may contain petroleum distillates, the iMac's plastic could be softened by it. Since I've never tried it, I'd want to use a junk iMac housing for testing purposes.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2013 12:48 AM in response to AppleBronyG4

If the yellowing/discoloration is on the inside of the plastic, it may have been caused by normal heat during operation. There's not really anything you can do for that. If it's on the outside, it could have been caused by exposure to the room's ambient light source (fluorescent?) or - if it sat near a window - it could be the result of continued exposure to ultraviolet light. Polishes for plastics have been available for years, and were often carried by audio/stereo retailers. They were used to remove fine scratches from the clear plastic cover over turntables. While they might restore the fading lustre of the iMac's housing, removing the yellowing may not be possible at this point. There are a few automotive detailing products designed to restore plastics that have yellowed or acquired a haze, from constant exposure to ultraviolet light. The large lens over the headlamps is a typical candidate for the product. Because these products may contain petroleum distillates, the iMac's plastic could be softened by it. Since I've never tried it, I'd want to use a junk iMac housing for testing purposes.

My iMac G3's case is yellowed.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.