Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Port Doesn't/ Does Work? PLEASE HELP.

So my USB port closest to the screen on my 13" macbook pro (late 2011) suddenly stopped working. I could date it back around 2 to 3 months ago that I remember it working. I usually work with a wirless mouse in one and a flash drive in the other. So anyway I went to talk to someone at the Genius bar and he said that my problem with my USB port is a special case. Any device put into the broken USB port can be powered (charged), but unable to be recognized. The rep at the Genius bar tells me that to get this fixed they will send my macbook out for $280.00. Any way someone can help me save some cash?

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 12:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 1:58 AM

Using the other USB port, .....I assume one of the contact fingers is broken off?

There is nobody here than can fix that for you online or in person without parts replacement.

Did he indicate specific failure of the USB port? ...what specifically, ....since he mentioned a price its only correct to assume a hardware fault.

😊

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2013 1:58 AM in response to rawnaldo

Using the other USB port, .....I assume one of the contact fingers is broken off?

There is nobody here than can fix that for you online or in person without parts replacement.

Did he indicate specific failure of the USB port? ...what specifically, ....since he mentioned a price its only correct to assume a hardware fault.

😊

Dec 8, 2013 8:04 AM in response to PlotinusVeritas

I don't know about the contact fingers because he inspected it on the outside and everything looked okay.

He couldn't find out why the USB port failed to recognize any device put into it. The port is fuctioning, but the only problem is that when I insert a device into it the port doesn't do anything. And the mystery is that when you look into the System Information> USB you'll find that both USB is there. Idk thanks for the help.

USB Port Doesn't/ Does Work? PLEASE HELP.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.