Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I do these on a new Time Capsule?

Hello all.

I've been a PC user for the past 20 years or so and just recently moved on to Mac (at last!).

I have an ISP provided fiber gateway which serves as a router, wireless N acess point and voip server.

Basically I want to buy a new Time Capsule in order to disable wireless on my ISP's gateway.

I've searched the forums but I've compiled a list of what I need and might be easier to get my answer(s) on this thread.

So, here are my usage requirements for the TC:

- NAS + Wireless Access Point only! NOT use it as a router (aka Bridge mode)

- Time Capsule with Fixed LAN IP

- DHCP off altogether

- SSID broadcast disabled

- WPA2-PSK AES security (still the "gold" standard for home/office use?)

- Manual channel selection (does this still apply to AC mode? Or 2.4Ghz only?)

- Use the TC drive to run Time Machine from my rMBP drive and also to store my content (movies, music, etc)

- Access the TC drive from the internet (I have dynamic IP on the WAN side)

- Plug in a USB drive for extra storage or backup of the Time Capsule (and possible access from the internet in case of extra storage)

Thank you and best regards,

cmmaia

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 5:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 1:58 PM

cmmaia wrote:

Hello all.

I've been a PC user for the past 20 years or so and just recently moved on to Mac (at last!).

I have an ISP provided fiber gateway which serves as a router, wireless N acess point and voip server.

Basically I want to buy a new Time Capsule in order to disable wireless on my ISP's gateway.

I've searched the forums but I've compiled a list of what I need and might be easier to get my answer(s) on this thread.

1 - NAS + Wireless Access Point only! NOT use it as a router (aka Bridge mode)

2 - Time Capsule with Fixed LAN IP

3 - DHCP off altogether

4 - SSID broadcast disabled

5 - WPA2-PSK AES security (still the "gold" standard for home/office use?)

6 - Manual channel selection (does this still apply to AC mode? Or 2.4Ghz only?)

7 - Use the TC drive to run Time Machine from my rMBP drive and also to store my content (movies, music, etc)

8 - Access the TC drive from the internet (I have dynamic IP on the WAN side)

9 - Plug in a USB drive for extra storage or backup of the Time Capsule (and possible access from the internet in case of extra storage)

cmmaia

1. You can setup the TC as network drive for wireless and no router.. bridge is most common setup.

However the TC is not designed as a NAS and lacks some key ingredients.. eg speed.. TC is slow. Although your wireless is probably even slower. But backup.. all NAS can back themselves up .. TC cannot.. since it is a single domestic quality hard disk in a router it is prone to disk failure.

2. Fixed IP is no problem. Although in bridge you would normally control this from dhcp reservation in the router.

3. In bridge the TC has no dhcp running.

4. SSID can be hidden.. Of course any true hacker can get in without any trouble as SSID is never really hidden.. most wireless analysis software can find it.. and it is not part of the IEEE standard so it causes client issues. But that is up to you.

5. The TC supports WPA2 Personal = AES. This is still the best available and with a decent password is not hackable.. hence hiding ssid is useless.

6. Manual channel selection only works on 2.4ghz. The TC needs 80mhz of bandspace on 5ghz and does not allow end users to allocate the channel.

7. Your TC is made for TM.. that is its primary function.. no issues doing that.

Storing content.. not such a great idea.. remember no backup.. no ability to backup by Time Machine. Since there is no backup all files stored on the TC will one day become unavailable.. lost .. disolved into ether.

The TC is slow to spin up and quick to spin down.. it handles iTunes poorly.. It handles iPhoto even worse.. strongly recommend against using TC for iphoto as it easily corrupts the library.

8. You can access the TC by a few methods..

See https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3413

9. You can use USB drive.. super slow though.. half the speed of usb2 drive plugged into your computer. No internal backup on the TC so backup via a computer will go TC.. computer.. TC.. USB. it is super duper slow.. painful .. it is much much better to use a USB3 drive plugged into the computer.. TC--computer--usb3.

If you do that then you may as well store the files on the USB3 drive.. and use the TC as it was designed .. for backups.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2013 1:58 PM in response to cmmaia

cmmaia wrote:

Hello all.

1 - NAS + Wireless Access Point only! NOT use it as a router (aka Bridge mode)

2 - Time Capsule with Fixed LAN IP

3 - DHCP off altogether

4 - SSID broadcast disabled

5 - WPA2-PSK AES security (still the "gold" standard for home/office use?)

6 - Manual channel selection (does this still apply to AC mode? Or 2.4Ghz only?)

7 - Use the TC drive to run Time Machine from my rMBP drive and also to store my content (movies, music, etc)

8 - Access the TC drive from the internet (I have dynamic IP on the WAN side)

9 - Plug in a USB drive for extra storage or backup of the Time Capsule (and possible access from the internet in case of extra storage)

cmmaia

1. You can setup the TC as network drive for wireless and no router.. bridge is most common setup.

However the TC is not designed as a NAS and lacks some key ingredients.. eg speed.. TC is slow. Although your wireless is probably even slower. But backup.. all NAS can back themselves up .. TC cannot.. since it is a single domestic quality hard disk in a router it is prone to disk failure.

2. Fixed IP is no problem. Although in bridge you would normally control this from dhcp reservation in the router.

3. In bridge the TC has no dhcp running.

4. SSID can be hidden.. Of course any true hacker can get in without any trouble as SSID is never really hidden.. most wireless analysis software can find it.. and it is not part of the IEEE standard so it causes client issues. But that is up to you.

5. The TC supports WPA2 Personal = AES. This is still the best available and with a decent password is not hackable.. hence hiding ssid is useless.

6. Manual channel selection only works on 2.4ghz. The TC needs 80mhz of bandspace on 5ghz and does not allow end users to allocate the channel.

7. Your TC is made for TM.. that is its primary function.. no issues doing that.

Storing content.. not such a great idea.. remember no backup.. no ability to backup by Time Machine. Since there is no backup all files stored on the TC will one day become unavailable.. lost .. disolved into ether.

The TC is slow to spin up and quick to spin down.. it handles iTunes poorly.. It handles iPhoto even worse.. strongly recommend against using TC for iphoto as it easily corrupts the library.

8. You can access the TC by a few methods..

See https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3413

9. You can use USB drive.. super slow though.. half the speed of usb2 drive plugged into your computer. No internal backup on the TC so backup via a computer will go TC.. computer.. TC.. USB. it is super duper slow.. painful .. it is much much better to use a USB3 drive plugged into the computer.. TC--computer--usb3.

If you do that then you may as well store the files on the USB3 drive.. and use the TC as it was designed .. for backups.

Dec 8, 2013 2:16 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you for your time.

What would you suggest to store content? A Synology/QNAP NAS? I want my content to be available on the network, reacheable by any computer/mac/device and if possible from outside the network. I do not want to store my iTunes content on each device, rather on a network shared location. Ideally, this would be best using an iMac ou Mac Mini running OSX Server and some USB3 harddrives (no point going thunderbolt for my purposes and throughtput on standard hdds)

I thought about going full on Apple because, right now, all I want is simplicity and apple products just work great with each other.

Best regards,

cmmaia

Dec 8, 2013 4:07 PM in response to cmmaia

The Mini or iMac.. is a great idea.. Since Apple has not offered any NAS as a server.. and even if you locate the iTunes in the NAS it still needs a computer running iTunes .. it makes much better sense to use a computer.. if the computer is then able to be plugged directly into the TV, you have a server media centre and Home Theatre PC in one.

I am running a Mac mini now.. although I have several other computers.. this is low power consumption.. very low noise.. it needed an SSD (and you probably need 8GB RAM in it) but it makes a great little computer. It is not super fast.. but it is more than adequate I find for this type of use. I bought a mid 2011 version but if you want USB3 you need the newer model. You can fit a 1TB 2.5" and small SSD internally though.

Can I do these on a new Time Capsule?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.