Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need bootcamp install windows 8?

Hello everyone,

I've searched here for my question above but sorry, I didn't find a correct solution.

At first I've change from Windows to Mac for months ago and I have an installable USB-Stick from Windows 8. This Stick I made for fresh Windows 8 installation.

My question now, do I need Bootcamp to install Windows 8 direct from my USB-Stick?

I tried to boot from this Stick and it works but as I've got the question to install Windows 8 I stopped at this time because I'm not sure it works or broken my MacOS installation without bootcamp.

Thans for help and greetings from Germany,

-elias

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 6:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 6:43 AM

No, not specifically but if you're going to install Windows in bios mode anyway (rather than EFI mode) you might as well use Boot Camp, imo. At least that way some things get done for you.

8 replies

Dec 8, 2013 7:20 AM in response to Number88

Thanks for your Anwswer,

As I understood you if I need Bootcamp for correct installation - right?

I have an external drive that I want use it for windows but if I start bootcamp I can only choose an internal partition that is not the best way to me. Is there a solution to choose the external drive directly to install windows and install the bootcamp-drivers on it without the indirection using internal drive first?

Thanks again for help,

-elias

Dec 8, 2013 7:24 AM in response to Eriasu65

It is entirely possible to install Windows without Boot Camp but the advantages of such an installation (unless it's an EFI installation) don't seem worth it to me, personally.

Installing Windows to an external drive is not something I have tried from a Mac so can't comment on how that may be achieved, though I have read that others have managed to do it.

Dec 24, 2013 5:14 PM in response to Eriasu65

Sorry open this thread again,

below are the pics to help for any solution.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I tried for 2 days to install windows 7 ultimate on this system. I got the message that my system support only windows 7 huh?

Another message that the support software for bootcamp are not available on the server.

I have use different iso-images but nothing works stopping if bootcamp try to load the support software. Read different threads here but no any solution for me.

Merry Christmas to all and hope any can help me,

greetings,

elias

Dec 25, 2013 2:14 AM in response to Eriasu65

Hello again,

I took another way and using an USB-Stick with windows 8 and now that works. Only the bootcamp driver are not install all the drivers that I need for example nvidia driver not installed, no sound, and magic mouse not recognize by windows 8.

I manually downloadload the neweset bootcamp version (5.0.5033) for my late imac 2013 hope that ist correct?

Many greetings from Germany,

elias

Do I need bootcamp install windows 8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.