Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2D Chart Issues

I'd like to create a 2D bar chart of the following data with the Week Date Ranges along the bottom and the Cost along the Y. I can get the Cost to show on the Y axis but I can't get the Weekl Date Ranges to show along the bottom Does anyone know how I can include the Week Date Range underneath each bar?

Thanks

User uploaded file User uploaded file

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 7:43 AM

17 replies

Dec 8, 2013 8:30 AM in response to Schrodinger56

Then it is likely it is already a header column. As such, Numbers should have automatically used the text in column A for the X axis labels on your chart, just as you would have wanted it to.

To create the chart, select the data in the "Cost" column then choose a chart type. That should be all it takes. If that's what you already did, maybe just try it again. If that doesn't work, select the chart and look at the Format sidebar. Go to the Axis tab and click on X axis and look at the label references. If nothing is there you can select them from column A. In the screenshot below, I also set the labels to vertical.

User uploaded file

Dec 8, 2013 9:32 AM in response to Schrodinger56

Well, I'm at a loss. Something is not working correctly. It is as if you have Category Labels set to "None" instead of "auto-fit".

I notice your first label is in A4 but it looks like it would be A2 in your screenshot. Any hidden rows or columns or anything else different about your table than what meets the eye in your screenshot? I'll try to duplicate the problem. I haven't been able to so far.

Try a new document and see if you can create a chart properly in it.

Dec 8, 2013 9:43 AM in response to Schrodinger56

Hello, Schrodinger56,

You need the label references to start from A2, not A4.

User uploaded file

Doubleclick on the first reference and a box will pop up like this (except I think yours will be missing A2 and A3):

User uploaded file

Click so the cursor appears before the first reference in the box. Then double-click A3 in the table. Repeat for A2. Then accept with the green check mark. With luck, that will do it.

SG

Dec 8, 2013 12:31 PM in response to Schrodinger56

I can now replicate the problem. Unhide rows 1 and 2. Row 1 is a header row and for some reason when you hide a header row it is causing this problem. Probably a bug in the app. If row 1 was a normal row, it would not cause this problem when hidden. Any reason why you need them hidden? Any reason why either needs to be a header row?

If I unhide 1 and 2, delete 1 (which makes 2 become 1), add a header row above 1, then hide them again, is exactly as before but the problem doesn't appear in the chart. I think you're best off not hiding a header row, though.

2D Chart Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.