Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I disable the dictionary "word lookup" (not autocorrect) function on the iPad?

I use the iPad to teach English in my "electronic" classroom. However, I can't use the ipad for vocabulary tests/quizzes, because students know how to highlight the word and look up its meaning using the "dictionary" feature.

Can this be turned off??? Thanks!

iPad, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 10:15 AM

1 reply

Aug 30, 2015 2:03 AM in response to Lutefisk989

Open up a app that allows the feature to be used like safari for example and select any word you want to define and once you've selected define you will see a manage option at the bottom left of the define box, select that and it will allow you to either download or get rid of a dictionary that you have on the list - for some reason though when I tried to get rid of a U.S. dictionary I had accidentally downloaded it took numerous attempts at pressing the little x for the dictionary to delete but it eventually did. Hope this helps.

How do I disable the dictionary "word lookup" (not autocorrect) function on the iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.